diatomaceous earth

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
diatomaceous earth(mite control??)

Just a thought...diatomaceous earth..an extremely fine powder made from crushed/pulverised skeletons of crustaceans(minute planktons,algaes) used in pest control of plants and vegetables.It literally slices up small critters such as aphids,mites as they walk across it...yet you take some rub it between your fingers and it does nothing.Extremely lethal to small pests and yet is TOTALLY ORGANIC.I've been using it for years in my vegetable garden and it's extremely effective.Only drawback is it's washed off everytime it rains or you water your plants.Now I wonder how it would be to maybe sprinkle a bit on a mite infested T or add it to your substrate as a prevention control???.I don't have any mites(fingers kept crossed) or I would experiment.May be worth a try for someone who has an out of control mite problem as a last resort....Diatomaceous earth is usually readily available in any garden nursery centre and is sometimes found in aquarium sections of petstores.It's also used in filtering aquarium water and ridding aquarium water of parasites.I've used it also on my aquariums with absolutely no ill effects to fish at all.Any thoughts????....peace..

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't know if it would work, or what the consequences would be -- i don't think anyone else knows either -- it very well MAY BE WORTH IT to try it out.. .I hate to say it, but as even the shultzes say, sometimes its worth losing one T in order to find an amazing solution to a sometimes lethal problem in the T world!

peace,
dave

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I don't know if it would be very good for their booklungs... It kills insects and other invertebrates with pretty good results, and IMHO I wouldn't have it any where near my Ts.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IIRC its Fossilized or petrified algae. It gets inbetween the joints of an arthropods exoskelteon and tears it up causing loss of movement and dehydration. It would definately be detrimental to Tarantulas. It would just kill them a little slower than your average garden pest.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, since i have NO idea what this product is or how it works, other than the brief description in the original post, i had no idea.. but now that i see how it works kind of, i'd def say NO to trying it out with a T!

pce,
dave

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
last resort

I'm going to experiment on some garden spiders this summer.I usually get a few of the large brown type garden spider.Although I've never put it on them directly or on their webbing they must come into contact with it as I apply it quite frequently and liberally to my flowers and vegetables,and none seem to die.With getting into the lung thing.A T's lungs can't be much more sensitive than a fishes and I've never lost a fish when using it.Adding it to the substrate(small quantities) and moistening the substrate may keep it from penetrating the book lungs,but still be effective on the substrate dwelling mites.Personally I wouldn't hesitate trying it on a T who's future looks bleak from a severe mite infestation.It may just work and if it's destined to die anyways..who knows...could be effective as a "last resort".One shouldn't be so negative before it's proven totally lethal to T's.I probably wouldn't use it as a preventative measure...but a last resort...who knows.I'll keep you posted on the results with my garden spiders....peace..

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have used DE on birds to rid them of mites.

I agree with Buspirone That DE gets in the pliable webbing in the joints of inverts, and cuts it up.

Mind you, this is on a microscopic scale, but enough to dessicate small bugs. It is a mechanical action only. Chemically, DE is inert. A lot of pool filters still use DE as the main particulate filter. (its that safe)

As far as use on Ts, Id say absolutely not. The bits of DE would embed themselves in the pliable joints of a T, causing thousands of microscopic openenings, and continuing to do so untill the T molts (If they survive that long). The more the T moves, the more the DE would do its job, and keep cutting.

Now, holes by themselves arent all that bad (because theyre so small compared to a Ts overall size) But, Lets remember that a T uses hydraulics to extend their legs. All that T "Go-juice" would just ooze out of the holes in their joints.

The above is just my opinion based on what i know about DE.

I really do not know what it would do to Ts, but I wouldnt want to find out either.

Just my .02 :)

-Jason