Desert hairys working together on same burrow and sleeping together in it! Ours prefer to be with eachother

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
That's pretty cool... so they all have to back up when the one furthest in wants to get out... LOL

Love how they work together digging... :)

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
What are the sexes? Curious if they're all female, male or a mix. I couldnt get my desert hairy scorps to be in the same enclosure without fighting. Not sure what the sexes were, but I'm guessing both male with the amount of fighting. This is such a cool post!

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
three desert hairies all sharing the same burrow. Amazing... especially when they're known not to be communal and would rather fight with each other than co-operate.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Maybe they're trying to fight. One digs a hole to hide the other digs it bigger and follows in but it's too tight to do anything and the third does the same. Hahaha. Remember that classic line from your parents? "DONT MAKE ME COME IN THERE!!!" .

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hadrurus sp. are not known to be communal. While this may work short term (and it may appear that they prefer to be together), I seriously doubt it will last long-term.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Scorpion death

Arachnopeon
Hadrurus sp. are not known to be communal. While this may work short term (and it may appear that they prefer to be together), I seriously doubt it will last long-term.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
They have been in same enclosure for about a year now and never a problem with fighting they are like a family I guess 2 big ones 2 small ones and they all take turns with who they sleep with

Scorpion death

Arachnopeon
What are the sexes? Curious if they're all female, male or a mix. I couldnt get my desert hairy scorps to be in the same enclosure without fighting. Not sure what the sexes were, but I'm guessing both male with the amount of fighting. This is such a cool post!
I think its 3 male 1 female and have been together for a year now with no problems

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I foresee it ending poorly but interestingly occurrence.
Agreed. One day one of them will be lunch. It happens without warning, even among the species that are more tolerant of one another.

In the wild, H. arizonensis, like pretty much any opportunistic feeder, will cannibalize. This species is even documented specifically hunting other Scorpions, such as Smeringurus mesaensis, by laying down chemical trails that mimic the species. Even if it does not use the chemical trail trick, their large size affords them the ability to consume a large menu which includes Scorpions.

There was a user on here a few years back that kept a bunch of them together in an enclosure. Not sure what happened to him or ultimately the animals. So yes, if luck is on your side this can be successful for an unspecified amount of time.

Personally though I prefer not to take the risk.

The OP lives in the native habitat of H. arizonensis. It is a lot easier to go out and get more as they are readily available.

Last edited:

Grace18

Arachnopeon
How neat! Perhaps they are all well fed and they don't feel the need to attack each other. Mine has to be alone though.