Desert Hairy/Active scorp question

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the last month I've been planning on getting a H. Spadix. I currently have a community of Emperors (5), but I'm interested in moving on to a more active species. I've heard great things about the Desery Hairy (specifically the H. Spadix), but I have a few questions first.

1) Although the average care sheet says to keep them at between 75 and 80 degrees, I was planning on lighting them with a white bulb to bring the temp up to 80 during the day, then allowing it to drop to 65 at night (simulating their natural enviroment). How does this sound?

2) Although the Desert Haries are very interesting, I'm drawn to the more exotic (in the true sense of the word) when it comes to my hobbies. That is to say, I would love to keep a scorpion that doesn't live in my home country in order to experience a slice of another part of the world. Before I get a Desert Hairy, can anyone suggest another species from a country outside the US that exhibits the same active personality and venom potency? Something with a painful sting is not a problem, but I don't want anything too hot since I live in a dorm.

3) An importer near me has just gotten in a couple of Arizona Desert Haries. How do these compare in terms of activity to the H. Spadix?

Thanks for all the advice,
Peace,
Chris

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You already know my suggestions from chat the other night.

As to comparisons between them; I have found them both to have similar temperments and attitudes. In fact I am currently keeping a H.arizonensis ans a H.spadix together communally with much success.

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1409

I would raise the average daily temps to 85 +/- in the summer. Haddies will do well if you give them a 2-3 month cool down period in the winter where the high temps are 10-15 degrees lower than what I stated above. That said the current enclosure I have runs from about 100 right under the lamp (60W lightbulb) to about 80 in the far end of their 20 long tank.

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1126

John
];')

Last edited:

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks again for your help. I don't want you to think that I posted here because your advice wasn't helpful--it was. I'm just not very good in chat rooms and I have a hard time keeping up. Plus, I didn't get out all the questions I wanted to ask. Again, thanks a lot.

Originally posted by Kugellager

In fact I am currently keeping a H.arizonensis ans a H.spadix together communally with much success.

I know, I've been following your posts for a few weeks now.

Peace,
Chris

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Oh don't worry about that. I don't think that at all. In fact I encourage you to get several opinions. Many people have their own techniques that also work and I know I forget to mention some details sometimes...or on hopefully rare occasions am wrong. :rolleyes: I personally try to put the information out that I believe to be most correct then add a bit of my personal experiences with a particular species in the mix.

Hell, I'm a geophysicist...this is but one of my many hobbies...admittedly one I am more involved with than others...but by no means is not my profession.

Here is a site that some experts from all over the world in the scorpions field hang out at. It's a good site if you are not already a member.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scorpionfans/

Another good scorpion site with a more laid back format.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theunofficialscorpionclub/

John
];')

Last edited:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
You already know my suggestions from chat the other night.

That said the current enclosure I have runs from about 100 right under the lamp (60W lightbulb) to about 80 in the far end of their 20 long tank.

John
];')
John, are you using regular light bulbs? I use the ceramic light holders with a wire cage around it that Zoo Med sells, for this reason I use basking lights. I was thinking about using the less expensive regular type light bulb in a aluminum hood reflector as the basking lights run 7.99 for 50 watts and 7.99 for 100 watts.
Ed

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Ed, I'm just using regular cheapie old lightbulbs which I vary as the temp of the house changes...right now my house is at about 63F and I am using 60W bulbs. The bug room gets to around 65-67 by morning after the lights have been off since about 9:30 the night before...lights come on at about 6am this time of year.

John
];')

Last edited:

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nevermind I had a hunch you'd probably pick the one you have now, and searched the members area; and found you, kugellagers. But your name confuses me, my babelfish translator says it's a ball bearing in german. Is it something else to you or same?

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
ROFLMAO!!! proteus!

Your translation from babblefish is correct. Kugellager=ballbearings. It has no particular significance other than it was a cool word that stuck with me when I was taking German in college.

I had to use Kugellagers in there because when I signed up Kugellager was taken...I think I must have signed in with yascrew at some other point but forgot my passwords etc.

John
];')

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your translation from babblefish is correct. Kugellager=ballbearings. It has no particular significance other than it was a cool word that stuck with me when I was taking German in college.
Jetzt verstehe ich !

Last edited: