G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
it can vary among scorps....... even among the same species

they dont ALL moult at 10.51 am on a sunday, it depends on lots of things

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Young Hadrurus spp are extremely difficult to molt in captivity (as Opistophthalmus spp, Scorpio spp...and all species with deep burrow), they require precises parameters (T°, H°) very difficult to reproduce in captivity.
Greetings,
Eric

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can trigger moulting is nearly all species of scorpion by raising the humidity, with desert species particularly, they will wait until the humidity rises and moult almost immediately. My P.transvaalicus scorplings all seem to moult the night after I spray water in their tank. As Eric has said Hadrurus are really difficult to raise to maturity in captivity, however it has been done keeping them in bone dry conditions.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I believe to have read that Darrin Vernier raises Hadrurus sp. to maturity keeping them on dry peat. Not sure about this as m memory isnt always 100% :? ;)

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So if I mist the walls of my australis' enclosure, it'll molt? :)

She's so close and she has those spots.. I just want her to molt so I can make sure she's okay.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In my experience A.australis tend to look premoult a long time before moults, but a mist certainly won't hurt, and if shes ready to moult it will probably encourage her to do so.

eatinmachine

Arachnopeon
I was at the show and the lady said one was about 1 year old it looked small but what instar do you think that is I am a begginer. she didn't know how many molts it had

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
You can trigger moulting is nearly all species of scorpion by raising the humidity, with desert species particularly, they will wait until the humidity rises and moult almost immediately. My P.transvaalicus scorplings all seem to moult the night after I spray water in their tank. As Eric has said Hadrurus are really difficult to raise to maturity in captivity, however it has been done keeping them in bone dry conditions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't molting something that arachnids can't control? They molt when they are ready to molt as far as I know. I witnessed my C vittatus give birth when the rains started in the summer months but I've never heard of a molt triggered by spraying some water in the tank. I think it was just coincidence that they molted the night you sprayed.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thats ok, they moult 7 times in 16-30(estimation) months,

more moults in less time when they are younger, and less moults over longer times when they are larger and older