Dermestid beetles

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just found a taxidermist online who sells colonies of dermestid (flesh-eating) beetles. Skull Taxidermy . They sound really cool, but I can't imagine how you'd keep them and be able to stand the smell.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Galeogirl-

You might can feed them dead chickens, but it would have to be a vast tank to enclose them.

Am I making good sense or what:rolleyes:?

I wonder if they'd metalize my skull:? BTW, you really ought to be in bed, considering the fact that you're great with child...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They're the scourge of anyone who keeps pinned insect collections. They will eat just about any dead animal matter.

Wade

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are cool insects, but I don't know that I would keep them just for the sake of keeping them. I would keep a colony briefly if I were to prepare a skeleton. If any of my snakes ever keel over I would like to make a museum quality display of the skeleton. As Wade mentioned, they will eat any dead animal matter. I believe that includes leather. You would definitely want an absolutely escape proof enclosure.

If you have the stomach check out the below website. It features a time lapsed video of dermestids eating a pig carcass. Also be sure to check out the reticulated python eating a pig skeletal display. Very cool.

http://www.qmuseum.qld.gov.au/features/snakes/preparing/video.asp

Last edited: