Dendrostreptus macracanthus questions?

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I understand these millipedes are at least semi-arboreal and tend to stay above ground. Is this correct?

I have 2, one of each sex, and I have seen them mate. The female has been gone now for like 2-3 weeks, somewhere in the substrate. Im just curious if this is common. Could it be molting, or maybe laying eggs? I just wasnt sure.

I've had these maybe six months and never before had one gone underground, and from what I have been able to find I thought it was more of an above ground species, even when laying eggs and molting.

So any ideas?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
...from what I have been able to find I thought it was more of an above ground species, even when laying eggs and molting.

So any ideas?
I'm not familiar with these, and those two things would be my first thoughts as to what the behavior is about.

The one thing I often wonder about with some of these big millipedes, is whether their natural habitat undergoes a dry season. Many smaller creatures in these habitats borrow down and go into stasis until the rains come again. Being arboreal seems to lessen the chance of that being the case with these guys, but maybe something to consider.

Has the humidity dropped or the temperature changed in the enclosure lately? Maybe not drastically enough to trigger both of them, but enough to trigger the female?

Perhaps a "deluge" is in order? Just be careful not to drown her. Also, remember I'm just speculating. Since, nobody else answered, I decided to share my thoughts.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So the female is still gone, underneath the substrate somewhere. It has to be 5 weeks now or more since I have seen her. Has someone any experience with these that wants to add their two cents? Or even 3 or 5 cents, heck $1.47!!!!

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't have experience with this species, but one of my AGB females will burrow in the substrate for long periods of time.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
So the female is still gone, underneath the substrate somewhere. It has to be 5 weeks now or more since I have seen her. Has someone any experience with these that wants to add their two cents? Or even 3 or 5 cents, heck $1.47!!!!
This species molts uderground like any normal millipede. The arboreal label has to do just with where they are found in nature not where they molt. If yours is gone a few months and emerges gray in color you'll know what happened.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for that info. I was under the impression they just molted near the surface.