Deli vs other container types

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah, taking off the deli lids can be a bit of a pain. The heavier ones are a bit easier but you have a trade off because they are less clear. The lighter ones are completely clear but the lids are a little more flimsy so are more awkward to get off smoothly.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I understand the pop thing. Some deli cups have lids that tend to fit tighter than others and removing them can be jarring to say the least. I have some that fit tight enough that they almost crush the cup trying to put then back on. That said, I still use them and have no problem doing so. The momentary jostling is soon forgotten by the occupant so no harm no foul. For stacking, convenience, and economy, they are simply the best option right now.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
A plus to deli containers over screw on...you can crack one side and drop a prey item in or squirt some water instead of removing the entire lid...useful with flighty species, or when you don't want to tear webbing that may be on the lid.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
By "pop" I mean that when you open and close it the lid "pops". It's a bit of a jarring. As for screw on vs pop top, I don't see how pop top is any less likely to cause damage. A spider in a pinch point is in danger.

That's where working with both will show the difference. With deli cup snap-on lids, you first push the lid down nearest the spider, and the final snap is furthest away from the spider, and much less likely for the spider to get caught in the closing process. Deli cup lids are a soft, bendable plastic and easy to manipulate. They're also clear so you can see where the spider is, and if it darts towards the opening, you can easily see and adjust accordingly, whether that's stopping or closing another side of the lid. More options, more visibility, more flexibility. At any given time, I usually have 100 to 200 young tarantulas in deli cups. I have no problem with any getting caught in the lids.

With screw-on lids, the entire lid is moving, there is no side that's further away from the spider than any other. If it runs up to the top, all of it is equally dangerous. It's all pinch points. Screw-on lids are almost always dark/opaque, making it even more hazardous, as if the spider is at, or runs up to, the top of the cage, you can't see where it is when you're screwing on the lid. All it takes is for the spider to unexpectedly dart to the top one time, and you could injure or kill it. You have to be very careful. Just too risky for me. If you can live with an occasional 4 legged spider, then by all means use screw-on lids.

Most of my spiders are arboreal and/or OW, and darting around is a regular occurrence. I can't use screw-on lids. With the slower NW terrestrials, screw-on lids aren't as much of an issue, especially if the jar has any height to it.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A plus to deli containers over screw on...you can crack one side and drop a prey item in or squirt some water instead of removing the entire lid...useful with flighty species, or when you don't want to tear webbing that may be on the lid.

Which I do all the time. I usually don't take the lid all the way off with my young spiders in deli cups (being high strung and fast): I pry the lid open a crack to squirt in water to fill the bowl, or squeeze forceps in to remove the bowl or pick up boluses. It would not go anywhere nearly as smoothly with screw-on lids.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
These only work for smaller slings, and mainly terrestrial, but I have taken to keeping my slings in 150 count clear plastic card boxes, they cost .69 cents at the card shop, they're perfectly clear, and have a latch and lock top. Very, very useful and display friendly for small T's

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Sterilite Lock-N-stack for the win.
@Jeff23 the particular ones I have at the moment are 4 gallons and they aren't the clearest. They also have a black lid. But as far as locking, and lid density/quality I'm very happy with these.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
That's where working with both will show the difference. With deli cup snap-on lids, you first push the lid down nearest the spider, and the final snap is furthest away from the spider, and much less likely for the spider to get caught in the closing process. Deli cup lids are a soft, bendable plastic and easy to manipulate. They're also clear so you can se where the spider is, and if it darts towards the opening, you can easily see and adjust accordingly, whether that's stopping or closing another side of the lid. More options, more visibility, more flexibility. At any given time, I usually have 100 to 200 young tarantulas in deli cups. I have no problem with any getting caught in the lids.

With screw-on lids, the entire lid is moving, there is no side that's further away from the spider than any other. If it runs up to the top, all of it is equally dangerous. It's all pinch points. Screw-on lids are almost always dark/opaque, making it even more hazardous, as if the spider is at, or runs up to, the top of the cage, you can't see where it is when you're screwing on the lid. All it takes is for the spider to unexpectedly dart to the top one time, and you could injure or kill it. You have to be very careful. Just too risky for me. If you can live with an occasional 4 legged spider, then by all means use screw-on lids.

Most of my spiders are arboreal and/or OW, and darting around is a regular occurrence. I can't use screw-on lids. With the slower NW terrestrials, screw-on lids aren't as much of an issue, especially if the jar has any height to it.
You have me convinced. Combine what you are saying with the idea of using dim lights or red lights for those occasions where we want to disturb the T less as well. I have some nice sized $2.99 clear containers from Walmart with screw on lids. I think I will reserve them for very slow T's in special cases.

EDIT* But these Walmart containers are bigger than 32 oz so I will need to find something other than a deli cup to use instead for those cases (arboreal).

Last edited:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have used both and will continue to do so. Like I said, deli cups are the best option for small T's but only if you aren't displaying them. I've kept lots of bigger ones in gallon jugs with screw tops. I had a foolproof method of minimizing damage to T's when screwing on the lids and to this day, I've never had an injury. Here's what I do. First, I put eyes on the animal in question. Second, I keep eyes on said animal. Third, I don't screw the lid on if I see it near the lid or if I don't see it at all. It has served me well for decades now and I see no reason to stop. Of course deli cups are my go to when stacking lots of animals, but for those few that I want to see, gallon jugs are still my favorite. That is till they outgrow it and need a tank or something.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Which I do all the time. I usually don't take the lid all the way off with my young spiders in deli cups (being high strung and fast): I pry the lid open a crack to squirt in water to fill the bowl, or squeeze forceps in to remove the bowl or pick up boluses. It would not go anywhere nearly as smoothly with screw-on lids.
Yeah pretty much the only time I actually fully open the deli cup of an OW tarantula (or one of my Psalmos) is when I'm completely changing out the water dish or doing maintenance. I will usually just open a side to drop prey in and I have a couple of vent holes I've made a bit bigger above the bottle cap and sphagnum so I can use a large needle syringe to refill water and drizzle on the moss or some of the sub without having to open up the enclosure at all. Really helps with my P. metallic since that thing is a total spaz.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I feel like we have had this discussion a time or two before. :p

Anyway, here is my take on the whole deal.

Price wise, if you're planning on having a lot of Ts then deli cups are the way to go. They are inexpensive and easy to use. A lot of them are not clear and some of the clear ones I found are brittle when you go to set them up (punching holes etc.). Screw on lid containers cost more and are less likely to pop open if the enclosure gets knocked off (some of you people let animals run loose in your homes...). A lot of the screw on options are clearer and more sturdy from the ones I have worked with. The snap on lid does let you partially open the lid, which is handy, if you need to. I find myself taking those all the way off though as it is easier for me.

I've used both screw on lids and snap on lid deli cups with some pretty fast Ts (No taps yet but a lot of other fast Ts). I've never came close to catching a T in either of them. The snap on lid can pinch just as readily as the screw on lid when placing it on the cup rim. If a leg is out there and you press down it's gone with either style. Once it's down, the snap lid is easier to seat without a T getting a leg between the rim and the lid. Likewise, once it is down, the screw on lid won't pinch until you tighten it all the way down (The threads are on the outside of the cup and most have a flat lip to seal).

IMO the T is most likely to lose a leg when it is bolting and the keeper tries to use the lid to stop it. It's legs are halfway out, down comes the lid, and off pops the leg(s). This is true of either lid.

You should know where your T is before opening the lid, while your working(with a catch cup (not a lid) in case it bolts), and when you're placing the lid back on. If I go to work with a T and it's doing laps around it's enclosure I move on to a different one. Usually by the time I get back to it it's settled or ducked down to hide from all the movement on the T tables.

Get the enclosure that works for what you want. If you only have a few Ts you have a lot of options. If you end up with a dozen coming in at the time... well deli cups are cheap and work really well. If you like peanut butter and have a bunch of those jars laying about, rock it out.

Again, I've used both for Psalmopoeus and Poecilotheria and a number of speeder terrestrial species for quite a while now and I've never come close to catching a Ts leg in the lid. So, IMO both work fine as long as they are used right.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Price wise, if you're planning on having a lot of Ts then deli cups are the way to go. They are inexpensive and easy to use. A lot of them are not clear and some of the clear ones I found are brittle when you go to set them up (punching holes etc.). Screw on lid containers cost more and are less likely to pop open if the enclosure gets knocked off (some of you people let animals run loose in your homes...). A lot of the screw on options are clearer and more sturdy from the ones I have worked with. The snap on lid does let you partially open the lid, which is handy, if you need to. I find myself taking those all the way off though as it is easier for me.

I've used both screw on lids and snap on lid deli cups with some pretty fast Ts (No taps yet but a lot of other fast Ts). I've never came close to catching a T in either of them. The snap on lid can pinch just as readily as the screw on lid when placing it on the cup rim. If a leg is out there and you press down it's gone with either style. Once it's down, the snap lid is easier to seat without a T getting a leg between the rim and the lid. Likewise, once it is down, the screw on lid won't pinch until you tighten it all the way down (The threads are on the outside of the cup and most have a flat lip to seal).

IMO the T is most likely to lose a leg when it is bolting and the keeper tries to use the lid to stop it. It's legs are halfway out, down comes the lid, and off pops the leg(s). This is true of either lid.

You should know where your T is before opening the lid, while your working(with a catch cup (not a lid) in case it bolts), and when you're placing the lid back on. If I go to work with a T and it's doing laps around it's enclosure I move on to a different one. Usually by the time I get back to it it's settled or ducked down to hide from all the movement on the T tables.

Get the enclosure that works for what you want. If you only have a few Ts you have a lot of options. If you end up with a dozen coming in at the time... well deli cups are cheap and work really well. If you like peanut butter and have a bunch of those jars laying about, rock it out.

Again, I've used both for Psalmopoeus and Poecilotheria and a number of speeder terrestrial species for quite a while now and I've never come close to catching a Ts leg in the lid. So, IMO both work fine as long as they are used right.
Excellent response. This is the correct answer sir. No further discussion needed lol

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
These are what I use for all my slings until they get to big for them then I rehouse them into their permanent ones.

I never have issues closing these or opening them and also if you don't already have them you need a nice pair of long tongs.

This prevents having to open up the lid completely to do maintenance ie molt removal, bolus', etc

Depending on how I feel and the genus, if they are real defensive I'll house them in their permanent enclosure immediately even if its a big one to prevent rehousing issues.

If you can get your hands on pill bottles these are also good for slings I use them for my Poecilotheria rufilata sling and my Psalmopoeus irminia slings....

The rufilata might have to be moved out next molt and the Irmina have I think two molts left before eviction.

Also the Tall one in the middle and the small one on the left I get free multiples of from the supermarket. You can find them at that buffet area with all the veggies and stuff you don't need to buy any food to take some and the tops

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I use clear utility boxes that i modify and decorate. I use clear plexiglass for viewing
thats an example. Cost efficient an look great for displaying slings

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
One thing we live around here are teacups from the Chinese restaurants. They make awesome tea so it's not a heartbreaker to get them. They are a 32oz cup with a lid that fits so tight it's waterproof. They are easy to open and close and pretty much bulletproof as well. They aren't clear but they're close enough. Thornton plastics makes vials that used to be standard for keeping tiny slings and shipping also. Not sure if people still use them or not. Recently I found some canisters at Walmart that are clear and have a cam type seal. Drill a few holes and these things are awesome. I have 36 holes on opposing sides and the view is completely unobstructed. Super easy to open and close when the latch is open and they stack without any wobble. For the last couple of decades, every container I see is judged by whether it would make a good home for an invert lol

5dice

Arachnopeon

I find this a very balanced and comprehensive response! Thanks!