Deer antlers for dogs?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a dog that has seperation anxiety and she's also an aggressive chewer, she goes through raw hides and kongs in less then an hour. However while I was at a pet store, I saw deer antlers, and talked with a couple of people there about them. I guess they're pretty recommended because they last longer and don't shard or splinter. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of these, or tried them, and has any opinons on them. because if I can find something to keep my dog occupied so she doesn't chew up my stuff, that'd be great. {D

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i've considered it but i ain't paying for something that i can find in the woods. so if i find an antler while mushrooming, it will go to keeping my dogs occupied:D

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Antlers are a chewing block of choice for pretty much everything that can gnaw, that's why you almost never find them when they've been off the deer a couple months. I'd say why not, give it a try.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Antlers can splinter and thus are not a good idea for a chew toy for a dog.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ agreed. While the inside is marrow like, the outer part can chip, in razor sharp pieces...

I have dropped antlers and watched them literally shatter. so whoever told you they dont shard or splinter is wrong.

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
if you are mushrooming on the seaside than you are looking for different mushrooms than me. LOL. My dogs showed no interest in them

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ha, I forgot to change that. I'm not in seaside anymore, I have moved back to carmel valley :)

Anyway, lots of deer here. I could hunt them with a claw hammer if I was so inclined ;)