Deep Breath

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone,
I'm trying my very very best to remain calm, but I can't at all (now you can make fun CM). I think, and this isn't a drill, I think Peso is moulting as I type. He's on his side while he's doing it, is that okay? Answer quickly please or otherwise I might freak out.
Thanks everyone. Big moment we've been waiting for.
The Rookie

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have no idea... :? But best of luck with Peso(Pay-So or Pee-so?)

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about it. He can molt on his side just fine. Just keep disturbance to a minimum.
Mike

Tupac Shakur

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey Paul :)
It's fine if he's on his side. Small slings can moult in just about any position or area. Larger juveniles and adults do need to be on their side or back for safety reasons. At any rate, side is always all right.

Just think, when this over, you can get back to worrying about the next moult ;)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you have a webcam or digital camerar that you can record it with?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you have a webcam or digital camera that you can record it with?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yay!!!!! Finally, the BIG MOMENT you've been (and us too!) waiting for. C_M is correct, molting on their side should be just fine. I had a B albopilosum sling that insisted on it every time till it got alot bigger.
Let us know when Peso is done!

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Gail pictures the rookie pacing back and forth madly chain smoking and drinking coffee LOL
Breathe deep, like others have said, it's just fine :D
Let us know when the blessed event is done.

Gail

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Sounds like someone is watching their first molt. Congratulations....

Scott

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It almosts feels as though all of us have been part of the life if Peso so far.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm having a hard time breathing now.

Hows it going Rookie? Almost done?

Go Peso go!!!

Ernie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Hey!!, did i miss anything? anyhoo

good luck, i know you can do it peso!!!!=D :} :D

GO PESO GO PESO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK,

James

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Morning News

Ha ha ha.
Thanks for the dedicated support everyone, Peso and I are very touched. I just checked on him/her now and he/she seems fine. He's almost entirely white, and I assume that's a pigment thing and he'll be greyer soon. Everything seems alright though; he has eight eyes and eight legs, and he scurried around a little when I took off his lid to mist.
Peso looks so slim now though :( How long before I can feed him?
Thanks for your help everyone. I feel as though I should get a plaque or something...
Paul

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Congrats :D
As for being slim, most are right after a molt. Don't try feeding him for at least 3 or 4 days and then only if his full color is back. My policy with the first after molt feed is to only offer a pre-killed cricket so that I know for sure it won't attack. Of course, 90% of the food I give now is pre-killed (frozen then thawed) so I have much less anxiety now as to if I should or shouldn't try feeding one or the other of my T's as I have yet to hear a story about a dead crix munching a T :D

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
it's as thrilling hearing about it vicariously through you as it is watching it ourselves :)
Glad to hear everything is ok. Peso will need time to harden up his/her exoskelaton now. Depending on the new size? You should wait a few days to a week.
Don't worry, Ts usually eat like pigs after a molt, and Peso will soon be back to pre-molt abdomen size!

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try to limit your activity in the cage, since t's are very vulnerable when they have just molted. The white appearance will soon go away as Peso hardens. With slings I think you can feed them a few days after molting. If you get the chance: look at the fangs, if they are like bloodred, they have not hardened quite. Just try to give Peso a cricket after a day or two, IMO if he's not ready to eat, he will not eat. You can also give him a pre-killed food item, thus reducing the eventual stress.
Good luck, and I'm happy for you Peso finally decided to molt! :)
Greetz,
Joost
Edit: oops, didn't see page 2, guess the questions are already answered...:p

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know where their bulbous tummies go after they molt, perhaps they were mainly air. There are varying opinions, but for spiderlings I have heard you should wait 3 days before offering food. Mine is a bit larger than yours, and I waited 5 days. Mine was also light right after it molted - Divinity Pulchra.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Morning News

Originally posted by Rookie
Thanks for your help everyone. I feel as though I should get a plaque or something...
Paul
And so you should! Congratulations to both you and Peso on surviving your first molt :)

Joy