Decisions, decisions..

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
OK, well.. this thursday I am officially taking the plunge. I have decided to get 4 more T's, since this is the number of enclosures I have vacant right now. (after finding some nice beanie baby display cases for a quarter each on overstock sale at OSCO)

I am going through Art Cerda, because so far he's been a great guy, and he lives minutes away from me. (no shipping hassles and whatnot) Given what he has in stock, I have narrowed it down to these first two which I am getting for sure:

A. versicolor 1"
Psalmopeous irminia 1"

And two of the following:

Theraphosa blondi 2-3"
Poecilotheria formosa 1”
Heroscodra maculata 1”
Chilobrachys fimbriatus 1”

These four are all pretty defensive species from what I understand, and given the amount of caution (and my limited intellect) I think there shouldn't be anything I can't handle, even with my lack of experience.

So, of the above four, which two should I go with? I'm leaning toward treehuggers lately, mostly based on the fact I really would like to see em on a regular basis, but I can also appreciate the good qualities of a burrowing T. Am I getting in over my head? I have done my homework so to speak, on all of these species, and my addiction needs feeding!

Bill

P.S. - If I do get the blondi, it of course won't be going into a beanie baby case - those are for the baby arboreals. I'll bite it and by another small aquarium.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
H. maculata because I'm getting one this week and I'm not very fond of old worlders or their attitude, but the markings on this thing have won me to the dark side.

I would not get the T. blondi. I don't have any idea what the fuss is about them to begin with, and when you add in their apparent fussiness with moisture levels and stuff, I wouldn't want to bother even if they were free.

I love the look of Chilobrachys and they're no worse in attitude or care requirements than most OW burrowers, but they are burrowers. Pokies don't really do much for me, but they are easy to care for, colorful, and you've been reading too much of LaRiz's posts lately. I'd get the Pokie - because if you don't, you'll just be getting one two months from now ;P

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I guess the only reason the T. blondi came up as a possibility, was that I am selling my 1967ish oscilloscope, and need something to draw conversation in my living room ;P

The big draw on that on, is admittedly, it's size and stature. I have to say the reason T's appealed to me so much more than say, going outside and collecting a couple hundred orb weavers, is their size. However, I have read much on T. blondi problems with humidity, etc, and the more I think about it, you're probably right. It might be too much hassle for now. (Though as a strictly old-world fanatic, I would think you'd have five or six of them CM ;))

So, factoring this in, I have it down to three.
The togo Starburst - mean and gorgeous
The Indian violet - mean gorgeous and burrowing
and the Salem Ornamental - Purple tinted beauty that $^$%% John has convinced me I want :p

Bill

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I purchased a couple of T. blondi's over a year ago. I lost one to a bad molt and the other lost 3 legs in a bad molt. It has since recovered and molted 2 more times. I like them, but they have a rep as being difficult to maintain.

I also have a C. fimbriatus and I listed it as one of my unexpected favorites on CM's thread.

I don't have any Pokes... but it shouldn't be too much longer before I go that route.

Botar

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
I don't have any Pokes... but it shouldn't be too much longer before I go that route.
If anyone ever wanted to see passive peer pressure in action, these boards are it. I now own 15X more Ts than I did before I knew an online community existed, and I now own varieties I would have never considered before, either. We're a bunch of junkies egging one another on ;P

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
If anyone ever wanted to see passive peer pressure in action, these boards are it. I now own 15X more Ts than I did before I knew an online community existed, and I now own varieties I would have never considered before, either. We're a bunch of junkies egging one another on ;P
Speak for yourself. I can quit anytime I want to ;)

Joy

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Joy
Speak for yourself. I can quit anytime I want to ;)

Joy
Sure you can Joy.... The first step is admitting you have a problem :)

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, but it's a GOOD addiction LOL :)
I'd also go with the HetMac, and the pokie.
I am T sitting an adult female HetMac, and she is really really cool.
And pokies are just great, I have mine catching mini mealworms out of the air now!

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Holley,

Hey, I pitch my pokies some munchies too. Most of the time they catch 'em. Pretty good reflexes. I never really heard of this, nor did I ever talk to anybody about it. I suppose it makes sense. I bet they eat alot of moths in the wild.
john

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
My new thing with the pokies when they're out is to hand feed them. Using tweezers of course, but it's quite a rush when they run up to take them from you :)

Scott

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Code. Even as spiderlings, H Maculata have beautiful markings. Mine is lovely and it is only 1.5 inches. T blondi is also great,

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pokies are awesome.. was misting my regalis enclousure today, and i guess a couple of droplets hit her; she went ballistic on me! gawd, almost had a heartattack! she snapped three times! at waterdroplets! can't wait to try pitching bugs to her ;)

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
"Sure you can Joy.... The first step is admitting you have a problem "

hi im Rick, and im an arachnoholic

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, thank's for the input folks, looks like the poke is in for sure, and more than likely the H. maculata. Of course, if my expense account gets reimbursed this week.. 4 could easily become 5.

Bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've noticed that with the arboreals....I guess they just seem to pay more attention...maybe because they have better eyesight?
Whereas most of my terrestrials don't react a whole lot (L cristatus MAJOR exception!) almost all of the arboreals will position themselves when I open the containers...
Maybe they are just used to me lobbing food at them LOL

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
My new thing with the pokies when they're out is to hand feed them. Using tweezers of course, but it's quite a rush when they run up to take them from you :)

Scott

Hi Scott: How big are these pokies that you are hand feeding? We have 2 pokies and I wouldn't even consider doing that. They tend to scare me off.
Pam:)

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Rick, and I am an arachnoholic too! I have 60 T's and an Indian violet on the way in a day or two and I can't wait. Actually the T.blondi is quite fun to watch when they are being active. I have a 9" that I will be attempting to breed here real soon. I do love all my pokes too. Their colors just win my heart over plus they are always exciting at feeding or misting time.

Attachments

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
Hi Rick, and I am an arachnoholic too! I have 60 T's and an Indian violet on the way in a day or two and I can't wait. Actually the T.blondi is quite fun to watch when they are being active. I have a 9" that I will be attempting to breed here real soon. I do love all my pokes too. Their colors just win my heart over plus they are always exciting at feeding or misting time.
Awesome pic. I'll be getting a T. Blondi here real soon.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
I guess the only reason the T. blondi came up as a possibility, was that I am selling my 1967ish oscilloscope, and need something to draw conversation in my living room ;P
Funny - that's exactly why I just got an adult female and stuck her in my living room. I now have three creatures 'up front' (as opposed to my back bedroom) -- A. versicolor in her dolled-up arboreal tank (great for display, she doesn't hide at all), my baby red bearded dragon and now my big female blondi.

Here she is, in fact. Note cat looking on. Got to wonder what she's thinking.

Attachments