Decided to go pothos...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats right.. I have decided to use pothos in my enclosures.. I have only redone two enclosures.. The P. pulcher, P. cambridgei..

I have also already got the enclosure built for my little T. blondi sling.. :D
Its probably a bit large.. But I couldnt find anything small enough.. The tubs I normally get for slings were sold out...& I didnt know when they were getting any more.. So.. I figure this will work since they are fast growers.. :D

Anyways.. Here are shots of the cambridgei & pulcher enclosure.. :) Nothing to special.. But I like them.. Time to look into getting some isopods..

P. cambridgei

P. pulcher

Here is the T. blondi's enclosure.. :) (Think it will work Fran? :D)

The hide for the blondi sling goes pretty deep into the substrate... Like 3.5" (or more) deep..

*Note* The substrate is now peat moss.. It is freshly sprayed so it looks like it is soaking wet.. But it is only the top that is super wet.. I figure that will be OK untill it soaks into the bottom.. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Umm.. I was going to offer them alot of light.. A night.. The only lights in the room are the basking bulbs for the reptiles.. During the day.. The sun light.. Im hoping that will do fine.. :eek:
I'm wondering if it's the same thing as the potted plants I have. Sort of vine-looking looking like that. One of them's alive in low light. Not really growing, but alive.

If it's the same thing, they grow like weeds if they get light.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks.. Yes the plant is the pothos..

Umm.. I was going to offer them alot of light.. A night.. The only lights in the room are the basking bulbs for the reptiles.. During the day.. The sun light.. Im hoping that will do fine.. :eek:

Thank you! :)
Ambient sunlight will be fine, they need very little sunlight and water, a key indicator you have watered them to much is the leaf starting to turn yellow. when this happens cut back on the water and snip the yellow leaf off.

[YOUTUBE]qW5jf2XfXNQ[/YOUTUBE]

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ambient sunlight will be fine, they need very little sunlight and water, a key indicator you have watered them to much is the leaf starting to turn yellow. when this happens cut back on the water and snip the yellow leaf off.

[YOUTUBE]qW5jf2XfXNQ[/YOUTUBE]
Thanks for that Rob.. I was thinking I had to water them often.. :eek:
Im not much of a plant person.. I just got board with the bland enclosures.. Didnt want to do fake plants either.. I guess we will see if I got a green thumb or not.. LoL!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for that Rob.. I was thinking I had to water them often.. :eek:
Im not much of a plant person.. I just got board with the bland enclosures.. Didnt want to do fake plants either.. I guess we will see if I got a green thumb or not.. LoL!
No problem at all, a Potho plant is actually a indoor house plant that is why they like very little water or sunlight. In my old T room it was completely drak with no sunlight and the pothos still grew...they are pretty tuff!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No problem at all, a Potho plant is actually a indoor house plant that is why they like very little water or sunlight. In my old T room it was completely drak with no sunlight and the pothos still grew...they are pretty tuff!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipremnum_aureum

It is sold as an indoor plant in most locales since it is a tropical plant and won't tolerate low temperatures. It grows under the jungle canopy and grows rampantly under the low light conditions present there. A lot of chameleon keepers use it (I have it all of my chameleon set-ups) because it is very hardy, quick-growing and a very substantial vine for chameleons to cling to. Under even low light conditions it is very fast growing. there will be several inches of vine between leaves. It's very easy to get new "starts" by snipping the vine and a leaf off and sticking it in water until a few roots form. You should have a self-sustaining supply for your new set-ups.

Redneck: Your new set-ups with the pothos are beautiful. I'll be interested to see if your arboreal T's take advantage of the leaves for webbing.
Diane

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipremnum_aureum

It is sold as an indoor plant in most locales since it is a tropical plant and won't tolerate low temperatures. It grows under the jungle canopy and grows rampantly under the low light conditions present there. A lot of chameleon keepers use it (I have it all of my chameleon set-ups) because it is very hardy, quick-growing and a very substantial vine for chameleons to cling to. Under even low light conditions it is very fast growing. there will be several inches of vine between leaves. It's very easy to get new "starts" by snipping the vine and a leaf off and sticking it in water until a few roots form. You should have a self-sustaining supply for your new set-ups.

Redneck: Your new set-ups with the pothos are beautiful. I'll be interested to see if your arboreal T's take advantage of the leaves for webbing.
Diane
Yeah in primary rainforest only about 3% of the suns rays make it to the forest floor, so plants like pothos have adapted to that low light environment. I've been to the Amazon rainforest before it really is amazing how little light get through the canopy.

I recently bought a pothos myself and I'm planning to break it up and plant it with my A. avic, A. versi, and my emperor scorpion. It was thanks to Robc's video that i found out how great pothos is. I think i've been overwatering mine i'll have to water it less. Like redneck i also don't have much experience with keeping plants.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to take mine out and put them in the window every few months,or else they end up looking like CRAP. Very spindly,and sickly looking..They need more than ambient light to thrive IMHO.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have to take mine out and put them in the window every few months,or else they end up looking like CRAP. Very spindly,and sickly looking..They need more than ambient light to thrive IMHO.
All of my enclosure's have them, and they get very little ambient light and grow like crazy!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of my enclosure's have them, and they get very little ambient light and grow like crazy!
Really.....are they mostly vine,or leaf material? I have quite a bit of ambient lighting,and they always seem to get too "viney" for my tastes when not subjected to quality lighting.Hmmmmmmm.......

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Really.....are they mostly vine,or leaf material? I have quite a bit of ambient lighting,and they always seem to get too "viney" for my tastes when not subjected to quality lighting.Hmmmmmmm.......
They are both, but you can train them to do what you want, but to get more leaves trim them back and you will get more leaves....works for me!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are both, but you can train them to do what you want, but to get more leaves trim them back and you will get more leaves....works for me!
Thanks for the info,I have not tried giving them a haircut yet...

Dexter

Arachnopeon
Both the pant and that fertilizer stick are completely safe for the blondi rob? Or all species? What if the T digs near the plant at all? I'd like to place one of these in my blondi tank this week before I move her in.

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both the pant and that fertilizer stick are completely safe for the blondi rob? Or all species? What if the T digs near the plant at all? I'd like to place one of these in my blondi tank this week before I move her in.
Lots of people have been keeping them with tarantulas including rob with his blondi without any problems as far as i can tell. Just keep in mind like most rainforest plants pothos is toxic if ingested so keep it out of reach of dogs and cats.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Perfectly safe, it is time released fert in small amounts.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the knowledge guys I just started using plants in my pokie enclosure and then started them in my B.vagans enclosure but had to take them out because the crazy vagans was chewing on them! But Never got sick so I guess they are safe for the "weird' Guys ?