Deceased Hot.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Deceased Hottentotta sp. Hey Dave or John, I recently had one of my hottentotta die. I found it dead when I came home tonight. The other one doesn't look too good. I am guessing maybe it's the cold weather, I can't keep my room that well heated...the temp. stays around 70. I don't know...they haven't been eating...I'm guessing because of the temp. I don't want to lose the other one and be another irresponsible amature. :mad: I have absolutely no idea how to care for this species...so the climate has just been dry with a sponge (always full of water) to drink from and lately cool temps. Any suggestions, comments? I hate when a death is my fault, it may not be...but I imagine it is. :(

Eph.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
First off, remember that they are small buthids and that the buthids in general are relatively short lived. Most of the small buthids live 2-4 years max and you have no idea how old they were when you got them. Desert/arid scorps are the most hardy and forgiving species to keep as they deal with warm days and cool nights. There are a lot of factors that you may have no control over. My M.martensii all kicked the bucket in less than a year and they were all adults when I got them..though two did have babies.

I would recommend a slightly warmer temp for yours...Dave can give you better advice on the best conditions as he has several species of Hottentotta. If your enclosure is small you could use a 25W bulb that would keep the enclosure in the 80's F but would have to pay closer attention to the temps. Also, as with tarantulas you should not use sponges as they just are breeding places for bacteria and algae. A gatorade bottle cap would be ideal for a water dish.

Remember...as far as monetary considerations if I remember correctly you practically stole them form that pet store...Don't get too discouraged with scorps; they can be rewarding critters to keep.

John
];')

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the encouragement, and I'll remove the sponge and leave the bottle cap. Yes, they were a brutal steal...and I had another offer the other day I had to refuse because of room available. A bicoloratum and tricoloratum, adults, each in their own enclosure, all for 20 bucks. Would have liked to take him up on that one. Thanks a lot man. I'm definately not giving up on scorps, I do enjoy them extensively. I have just never had anything die under my care, and I guess the first time is always discouraging.

In Him,
Marcus

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Yeah the first ones I lost were a definite bummer. I was living in Gainesville, Florida at the time. I came home from class and found both of my scorps (an Emp and C.gracilis) killed by fire ants.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Marcus,

John's care recommendations are basically spot on. Hot and dry with free water available. Beyond that, it is probably a case of 'tis the season. I lost two Hottentotta sp. myself a few weeks back. It is just the way things are with the short-lived buthids.

Cheers,
Dave