Debunking misinformation about spiders

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Very very good job! :) I sometimes post comments on news sites when they write bs about spiders or post the wrong photos, and sometimes I write emails with corrections. Most ignore them, but some listen and change the info.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
I think we all should go and upvote this video and downvote and comment on the original video. :devil:

basin79

ArachnoGod
A recent YouTube upload of mine, debunking one of many videos presenting false information about spiders.
Fair play. So much rubbish out there. They'll use your clips but won't message you asking about the actual spider.

Although I can't believe the original video actually gave credits. These types of vids usually don't.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Staehilomyces I would suggest you add all those tags the sensationalist web sites use to get hits and sucker people to their sites. By the way, you forgot the deadliest spider of them all, the horrific Pholcids! Everyone knows 'daddy long legs' have the most toxic venom!

To get down to earth. Your presentation in that video would be perfect in documenting the 'cellar spider'. While a quite capable combatant against other spiders ... let's let reality make a brief appearance.
There you are in the average S.E. Asian bathroom. You have company. A few pholcids in their webs up at the ceiling and the usual 150 or so mosquitoes. The problem comes in with pholcids not having any sticky threads in their webs. They capture their prey through grasping their victims and tying them up with webbing. Everyone knows mosquitoes, while appearing to be slow motion versions of houseflies, are extraordinarily capable at avoiding being grabbed.
The end result of this is usually elevating an observers blood pressure significantly as your 10 minute stint in the bathroom results is seeing several dozen mosquitoes bumble through a pholcids web, the spider making an ineffectual attack and the mosquito eventually flying away. Repeat, repeat ...

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Cheers for all the replies everyone. I will likely make videos like this a regular thing on my YouTube cause there is so much misinformation out there to combat.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Fantastic content @Staehilomyces media sensationalism struck again against our arachnid friends. It is pathetic to witness all over the internet the Oz spiders meme.