death's head moths

K

krucz

i have a friend looking to buy death's head moths. are they legal in california? anyone have a source if they are? care sheets, etc.?
thanks for any info!
garth

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
hey johns:
thanks for the link. it's mostly information regarding the actual moth, no info on where i can get my grubby mitts on some, or the legality of those grubs i may end up grubbily mitting. ha! i'm a clever dork.
garrrrrrrth

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where do the originate? If it's outside the US, chances are they require a permit to keep. Anything that feeds on plants (this includes dead plants and plant fluids like nectar) is considered a "potential plant pest" by the USDA and the state authorities probably wouldn't be too keen either.

Not that someone out there isn't selling them, but, chances are, it's outside the law.

Wade

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
well, i have been unable to find any resource for living animals, either the purchase of or the legality of. thanks for the thoughts tho, wade.
as far as the moths go, i'd be obliged if anyone had any info at all. thanks!
g

canadinlibfront

Arachnopeon
:( sorry, but i have been looking as well. nothing but info about the species itself, nothing on purchasing, care of, or legality of. those things are pretty cool

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
The original post is from, like 2002. I'm sure he either found them or gave up by now. If you are looking for them, the best way to go is through someone in a UK moth forum. They range from northern Africa to England I believe.