Death Stalker Babies

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

I have been reading through the forum and see a lot of knowledgable folks here. Last week I got two Leiurus Quinquestriatus (Death Stalker) babies that were captive born in Florida. One has died over the weekend, (no, not from molting complications), so I am looking for someone who has any level of expertise with this specific breed.

Container is a deli-cup with holes in the top for ventilation. I have them near a heat lamp with unmonitored temperature. I have not monitored the temperature because the babies were hugging the side of the container closest to the heat, so I gradually moved it closer to the heat source over a few days until they were content to wander the entire cup without hugging the heat-source-side. The bottom is just calci-sand from the local petstore. They have each had a baby cricket to eat this week (I intend to feed them once a week, as this is what most of the information I have gathered says). Every three days I use a water dropper and soak a little bit of the sand on the side of the container opposite the heat source.

I have watched one of them eat (he killed a cricket by himself).

I am fully aware that the other baby may have been stung by the live one. This keeper believes the babies to be second (POSSIBLY, but not likely third) instars.

Am I taking decent care of them? Any information from someone's personal experience with baby Death Stalkers would be helpful, as internet sites have a HUGE range of conditions listed. For example, one website says 0-20% humidity. Another says 60-75% humidity.

Yes, I did ask the place where I got them (they did pretty much what I am doing), but I want to be sure, as this last little guy is an amazing critter that I want to have for a long time.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just as long as you know they are the deadliest scorp out there than its all good. And as long as you have decent experience with scorps in general.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would check that the temperature is not to high, it may not be simple to judge how happy they are just by their behaviour. Make sure there is a cool sheltered place the scorpion can move to if it wants.

LiCaN

Arachnopeon
I consider that to throw water in the container every 3 days it is much, but in any case you have not had them sufficient time like so that it developed micosis. I believe that it could be the temperature, that does not happen of 35º and must lower 20-25º at night. It takes care of the temperature with a thermostat and you do not throw water to them, the water is of possible water way... it picks' water every month or less, acquires water through the prey.
Luck with which it follows alive, and controls the factors.
A greeting

P.D. Sorrry for my terrible English :}

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"I am fully aware that the other baby may have been stung by the live one. This keeper believes the babies to be second (POSSIBLY, but not likely third) instars."

Have you kept them together?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow advice..i havent given it in a while. Well i have 4I Lq right now but i got them at 2I or 3I whatever right same thing. I also keep them in unmonitored temp but they seem content where they are so i try not to move them. I pretty much do the same thing as you except that i dont give them any water. I think that maybe your having problems with your humidity. Also im doing a little experiment with them in case you want to try. I feed one of them on a regular schedule with proper sized crix and the other one i feed it in longer intervals but with adult crix(incapacitated). The one that ate the adult crix molted twice already but the other one altough bigger has only molted once.

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I discontinued watering every three days and the remaining one is still alive and healthy. Furthermore, I have been allowing him normal room (70-75F) temperature at night.

In regards to a previous question: Yes, I was keeping them both together.

I am going to try feeding him incapacitated adult crickets. I was going to try experimenting with water and no water, but I can't now since one is dead.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have one more question but I will start a new thread for that one.

-Luke

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow i feel not so useless again. Next time keep them seperated that might of been your problem too.