Dead?

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not 100% sure but your T' could have Nematodes (Small round worms) that could be what is causing the white around the mouth if this is the case there is a very good chance she will die in the future. Once she molts remove her from the cage and clean that cage very good with bleach then watch her over the next few months if white forms around her mouth again she has nematodes.

There is treatment but I doubt you will pull it off you'll have to clean the mouth with warm water & Qtips and a drop of 98% alcohol. There is a real nice write up about Nematodes in the new BTS journal By Peter Falck
Yes, I know, and that's why I was so sure she was dead.
Nematodes could be the explanation on this white stuff, but the white seems to be dry, and she hasn't had any oher symptoms of nematodes.
Three of my other T's have the same substrate, and all four has gotten from the same batch of crickets, but the pokie here is the only one with the white stuff on her. But I've been told that pokies are more "responsive" to this shit.

But to be on the safe side (or at least safer) I've separated all of the tanks now.

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just woke up and been to check on her, and she is lying in the exact same position as in the last picture wich was taken close to 8 hours ago.
It's been about 17 hours since I found her, and except this curling of the legs nothing has happened at all within this time. . . .

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If the legs start curling up really bad, take a picture and show us, cause he/she could be dying. give it one more day, when a T gets older it's molts take longer.

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I she actually is dead, I suppose a sample of what might be nematodes still would be valid, right?

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so is it DEAD or not ?

I suppose since she hasn't moved at all during the 12 hours since I took the last photo. It's now been 21 hours since I found her lying on the soil and nothing molt-like has happened.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've seen this type of a death from WC specimens that I've suspected of having some type of parasite / infection / etc. Nothing concrete, of course.

Can you take some close-up shots of the white area? Has the spider been eating?

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
have you used the paint brush to get any sign that its alive :( :( --- phil

Yeah, took the chance on trying it since it's been so long without any movement, and nothing. The legs that are curled up appear to be stiff.
On advice from another tarantulakeeper I moved her into a smaller box with high humidity, and took some pictures of the white stuff. It seems to be quite solid/hard and doesn't resolve in alcohol.

The white stuff is under her mouth, between her theeth and in one of the inner leg-joints.

Becca81: No, she hasn't touched the crickets I offered her, so no eating in the two weeks I've had her.

Attachments

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like nematodes. I lost an adult smithi to that last summer........ Here is a question that will help confirm that, did you notice a sweet smell coming from her when she was still alive? Not sweet like sugar but sweet kinda bitter, its hard to describe but you would know what I was talking about if the smell was there.

Also if you have other Ts make sure dead or alive that T goes nowhere near your other Ts. Not the room, and would be best if not in the house.

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like nematodes. I lost an adult smithi to that last summer........ Here is a question that will help confirm that, did you notice a sweet smell coming from her when she was still alive? Not sweet like sugar but sweet kinda bitter, its hard to describe but you would know what I was talking about if the smell was there.
I've tried to smell her but I can't say I've noticed a distinct smell of any kind.

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How can the nematodes transfer except from the tools and maybe food? I suppose they need someone to carry them??

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well ither way now that you know its dead you have to get ride of it. Burry it, toss it, whatever you chose..... it has to stay away from your other Ts. If it was nematodes those things can spread like fire.

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Quite sure she's dead. But should I wait or just dispose of her. I mean, there has been absoloutely no sign of life in at least 13 hours now, and no signs of a molt in almost 23 hours now.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would dispose of her soon as you can if she dead then its best to get it over with :( :( ::( :( ----- phil

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I disagree with Phil. They can play dead for some time. I always leave it until I am 100 % sure before moving them.

Did she respond to your touch (with the brush)?

If she is dead, I'm sorry for you. I would, however, move quickly to sterilize the conditions of your other tarantulas. It's possible that it's not nematodes, and that she died of something else, but you should make sure that the 'something else' isn't hanging around your other tarantulas.

Soil is easy to sterilize, Microwave, on high, 3-5 mins. Keep the tarantulas well clear of each other. Boil the brushes and tools. I'd also freeze the dead tarantula before burying it. That should kill the nematodes, if they are there, inside the tarantula. At least you'd have vengance against them.

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, sometimes Ts can really take their time when molting. My little LS 8cm cyaneo took about 50 hours to molt earlier. Of course it did die about two weeks after that...

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tend to keep my interreaction low with my arachnids, so I came in one day to a molted Pinktoe. Downside, I wasn't able to determine a her or him.