Dead Ornamental

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, I had described a spazzing H.maculata @ a week ago. I have had it in ICU since, and this morning when I went to mist it, it was dead. just for reference, two days ago, it was upside down and curled up. any reason for why? it was alive then.

Kristin:(

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the only time a T will flip upside down is to molt.When T's die they dont go "legs up". Instead they usually just curl there legs up undernieth (sp) themselves.
Doug

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what do you mean by spazzing out? and ive seen a few spiders die at the pet shop and they generally just tuck there legs in undeneath them so it being upside down maybe it was going to molt. or maybe it was just its time???

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Kristen... DON'T DISPOSE OF THE BODY YET!!! Remember my H. lividium? It "died" for 5 hours just before a molt. Put yours in the sun, keep a close watch on it, and don't give it a burial until YOU'RE SURE!!!!!

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with MizM on this one. Give it a chance. Sometimes they seem pretty dead before they molt into a beautiful new tarantula.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I have to disagree. This spider is more then likely dead. Spazzing out for no reason is a good time to start counting its days, and maybe it had some internal malady that it tried to molt out, but starting molt and not being finished in two days is a sure sign of death. As for putting a molting spider in the sunlight, I dont think it would do anything but burn it and put a ridiculous amount of environmental stress. Heat = good, sunlight = not so good.

-V

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My h. lividium did not move for 5-6 hours. I turned her upside down. I wiggled her legs. I gently pulled her fangs. She was aboslutely non-responsive... DEAD. I put her in the late afternoon sun (I'm not talking high noon 12:00 PM hot Florida sun here) approx. 80F and after a couple of hours, she started to respond to touch. I'm not saying that this is a GOOD thing, but if you have a dead T on your hands, the sunlight isn't going to HURT any!!!

And... they DO seem to "play dead" sometimes. After my experience, I won't be able to dispose of a T body for DAYS!!!

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Ok. Point. Heat here now is around 95 or so before heat index. This one is definately dead though, 100% dessicated, and stinking. Looks to be some inner fungal infection or parasite from an external look.

-V

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:( I think that lovely burial and memorial ceremony is in order then... and quickly!

I'm so sorry, it's really sucky losing a T! Especially such a feisty, pretty one! My condolences!

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow......If it WAS going through a molt.. That would suck sooooo much ass.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:( Well, I'm not sure that's exactly how I would word it..... but yeah, it would DEFINITELY SUCK!

(Mister Internet... I would LOVE to see that post in YOUR words!!!)

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Ok. Point. Heat here now is around 95 or so before heat index. This one is definately dead though, 100% dessicated, and stinking. Looks to be some inner fungal infection or parasite from an external look.

-V
The evil eye perhaps?

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
remember

I got to go with vayu son on this one I think its dead. heres my reason she said it spazzed out hmmm Heterascodra maculata is a aboreal if it indeed die it would be on a vertical surface when it did die and then would fall to the substrate either landing on its back or whatever, in this case landing on its back. now if it was molting then you would find the cradle of webbing for it to molt--doesnt take a rocket scientist to know when you see that webing that its goin to molt. so sadly I got to say R.I.P.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will probably be dealing with a dead H maculata soon as well because mine is a male and he has been molted out for about 3 months now. Not long before he passes on.