De-Venomizing Arachnids?

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive heard from numerous people in pet stores that can de venomize tarantulas and scorpions... Ive always wondered if there were any truth to that?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive heard from numerous people in pet stores that can de venomize tarantulas and scorpions... Ive always wondered if there were any truth to that?
No. It's completely false. De-venomizing a T would simply kill it.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can be done....will kill the invert. something only a fool would do.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, a tarantulas fangs and a scorpions telson can be removed but thats just cruel and very wrong. So, simply put no.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
ask them how that is accomplished without killing the specimen or completely destroying the way in which it kills its prey (i know i know, emperor scorps don't usually sting prey...but that's not the only scorp out there )

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
people at pet stores always ask if my tarantulas are de-venomized.

it drives me INSANE, i tell you.

especially when i say "no" and explain it's not possible anyway... and then they act like i'm going to be eaten alive in my sleep by my critters.

you can de-gland snakes, but it's risky (for them) and honestly cruel. :(

nomadofthehills

Arachnopeon
Removing the fangs would be cruel, but according to all these recent threads, they do not feel pain...

I still wouldn't do it.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All of my mates are shocked when they ask "do they still have their venom and fangs then"? and i answer yes course they do! lol
I wouldn't have it any other way.. whats the point in removing a T's fangs? How's it gonna eat? survive? defend itself? cruelty.. The only time iv seen T's fangs removed is when the people in Thailand eat Haplopelma minax and Haplopelma albostriatum.. :(
I see my females of these 2 species in their tanks, in their burrows and the thought of someone digging them up to eat them makes me feel sick :(