Davus Pentaloris

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Can someone confirm how you care for your Davus Pentalore species. I just bought several late this week.

I provided a moist zone and dry zone. Two 1" slings are burrowing right under the water vial (very moist zone) so I inserted an extra piece of cork bark in the area in case they decide to stay there. They seem to have settled in quick and are eating well. I am still on a search for the third 1" sling but I think it might be in the moist zone as well based on what little I can see. My juvenile female T is still wandering a lot so I don't see a preference yet.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You seem to be giving the right husbandry already.

Sling will prefer high humidity but as they grow it should be lowered. Kept mainly dry and just overflow the water bowl every once in a while and let it dry out, then repeat.

As they grow give them a cork bark hide and loads of anchor points for webbing. They love to web :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with @KezyGLA , I don't think you are going wrong either. I raised my Tiger Rump in even drier conditions than you have and didn't have a problem. They really stand out for a species in looks. I also observed a fair bit of webbing relative to other NW Ts, so enjoy that!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The world spider catalog has been updated as follows:
--------------------
1. Davus fasciatus * O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1892 Catalog 2016-10-03
2. Davus pentaloris (Simon, 1888) Catalog 2016-10-03
3. Davus ruficeps (Simon, 1891) Catalog 2016-10-03
4. Davus santos Gabriel, 2016 Catalog 2016-10-03

I had thought that my Pentaloris coloring was similar to a fasciatus except for the variegated coloring on the legs (mine has a solid color but is still Juvenile Female). I had supposed there were physical differences too. But now it has been said that no Davus Fasciatus are in the hobby. Does this mean the specimens with various color forms are all Pentaloris? I am curious if anyone else has more detail on this area. I could find summaries for the catalog changes but couldn't find any interviews or detailed information from Ray Gabriel.

EDIT* santos is also new to this genus and may be involved somehow.

Last edited:

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
These tiger rumps do great in the conditions you wrote about. As they grow I did add a large cork flat which seems to be the preferred spot to make there dens with alot of webbing. I do keep them a little warm at around 82 during the day in the room most of my T's are kept. i do keep the lower part of the bedding moist but never fully saturated. They grow at a moderate pace but in no way accelerated like some of my dwarfs. from what the other folks have posted plus the info you have came across they should do just fine.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
These tiger rumps do great in the conditions you wrote about. As they grow I did add a large cork flat which seems to be the preferred spot to make there dens with alot of webbing. I do keep them a little warm at around 82 during the day in the room most of my T's are kept. i do keep the lower part of the bedding moist but never fully saturated. They grow at a moderate pace but in no way accelerated like some of my dwarfs. from what the other folks have posted plus the info you have came across they should do just fine.
I think my female is nearing molt. I gave her two hides and she chose neither of them. She pushed the plastic plants next to one container wall to the side and is staying put there. She has also stopped eating. Mine is a little larger than 4 inches now.