Davus Fasciatus?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have seen posts on here where people say they have Davus Fasciatus, but I have also seen other people here saying they're not available in the US hobby. I saw some spiders labelled as D Fasciatus yesterday at a show. Are these mislabelled D Pentaloris? Or are Fasctiatus in fact available in the USA?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m not aware of them in the hobby. They get mislabeled OFTEN.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
According to this link Davus fasciatus has a black carapace while Davus pentaloris has the orange carapace. Locations differ as well.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Pinchers and pokies were selling them. All sold out now on their site.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
D. fasciatus aren't in the hobby as far as I'm aware so anyone claiming to have them for sale is almost certainly selling mislabelled pentaloris.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pinchers and pokies were selling them. All sold out now on their site.
Maybe they didn't know the difference, or maybe relied on someone else's info. I find it hard to believe they were the real McCoy.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Maybe they didn't know the difference, or maybe relied on someone else's info. I find it hard to believe they were the real McCoy.
I feel ya. I have no idea what the slings look like, other than what they had for the photo. But if you google that species for sale, it should link you to the page where they were selling them.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I feel ya. I have no idea what the slings look like, other than what they had for the photo. But if you google that species for sale, it should link you to the page where they were selling them.
My understanding is the biggest obvious difference is the fasciatus have a black carapace and the pentaloris red. From this picture, the carapace does look dark, but I'm not versed enough to make a definitive statement. I didn't get a close enough look at the ones I saw for sale in person to make an assessment. I do like my Pentaloris quite a bit though

Poonjab

Arachnoking
My understanding is the biggest obvious difference is the fasciatus have a black carapace and the pentaloris red. From this picture, the carapace does look dark, but I'm not versed enough to make a definitive statement. I didn't get a close enough look at the ones I saw for sale in person to make an assessment. I do like my Pentaloris quite a bit though
That was kinda my thing. I know as adults what they look like an how they distinguish. But as slings, I have no clue because I’ve personally never kept d.pentaloris. But thought it was interesting info I’d share to the thread.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The adults are different for sure, slings I've only seen D. pent.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
The adults are different for sure, slings I've only seen D. pent.
As slings are d.pent all dark essentially. Don’t get the orange carapace until they mature or at like what size?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Gabriel (2016), in a taxonomic revision of the genus Davus, determined that pet trade material labeled Davus fasciatus was in fact, Davus pentaloris. In his paper, he provides color photographs of live D. pentaloris and D. fasciatus. The easiest way to tell the two apart is by the abdominal markings and color of the carapace. Since there are multiple species of Davus with a pink carapace, that by itself can not be used to distinguish the species of Davus.

That being said, Candia-Ramírez (2020) found that the species Davus pentaloris is, in fact, made up of 12 different species- 13 including D. pentaloris proper- and can be distinguished based on morphology, geographic distribution, and molecular data. These species have not been officially described and thus have no name at this time. This means that depending on where the D. pentaloris for the pet hobby were collected, the ones for sale may not actually be D. pentaloris but an undescribed species of Davus.

So in summary:

If you see Davus fasciatus for sale, it is might be Davus pentaloris.
The Davus pentaloris you see for sale, or have in your collection, may not actually be Davus pentaloris but rather an undescribed species of Davus yet to be named.

References

Gabriel, R. (2016). Revised taxonomic placement of the species in the Central American genera Davus O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1892, Metriopelma Becker, 1878, and Schizopelma F. O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1897, with comments on species in related genera (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology 17(2): 61-92.

Candia-Ramírez, D. T., & Francke, O. F. (2020). Another stripe on the tiger makes no difference? Unexpected diversity in the widespread tiger tarantula Davus pentaloris (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Gabriel (2016), in a taxonomic revision of the genus Davus, determined that pet trade material labeled Davus fasciatus was in fact, Davus pentaloris. In his paper, he provides color photographs of live D. pentaloris and D. fasciatus. The easiest way to tell the two apart is by the abdominal markings and color of the carapace. Since there are multiple species of Davus with a pink carapace, that by itself can not be used to distinguish the species of Davus.

That being said, Candia-Ramírez (2020) found that the species Davus pentaloris is, in fact, made up of 12 different species- 13 including D. pentaloris proper- and can be distinguished based on morphology, geographic distribution, and molecular data. These species have not been officially described and thus have no name at this time. This means that depending on where the D. pentaloris for the pet hobby were collected, the ones for sale may not actually be D. pentaloris but an undescribed species of Davus.

So in summary:

If you see Davus fasciatus for sale, it is might be Davus pentaloris.
The Davus pentaloris you see for sale, or have in your collection, may not actually be Davus pentaloris but rather an undescribed species of Davus yet to be named.

References

Gabriel, R. (2016). Revised taxonomic placement of the species in the Central American genera Davus O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1892, Metriopelma Becker, 1878, and Schizopelma F. O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1897, with comments on species in related genera (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology 17(2): 61-92.

Candia-Ramírez, D. T., & Francke, O. F. (2020). Another stripe on the tiger makes no difference? Unexpected diversity in the widespread tiger tarantula Davus pentaloris (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society.
Super interesting! Thank you!!!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Super interesting! Thank you!!!
Sure thing. The more that you understand about the taxonomy of tarantulas, the more you will start to realize the scientific names assigned to them by sellers are more like guidelines than exact identifications. :rofl: