davus fasciatus

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I need some help with husbandry info on the species davus fasciatus. I searched but all I could find was a bunch of discussions about name changes.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
keep them a little wetter than a Lasiodora. kinda like a Nhandu. or as wet as a sling. lots of webs if im not mistaken, max size about 4.5" or so, skittish and fast. id imagine their growth to be fairly quick as well.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That is because their name is changed recently ;)
Davus pentaloris is the new name.
But if you want info, you can also search for info on the name Cyclosternum fasciatum which is an older name.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Setup basically the same as GBB but overflow the water dish a little every week. Slings and juvies are pet holes but adults are extensive webers and will spend almost all their time in the hammocks that they have created. Their speed is same if not faster than GBB too. They also share the appetite.

These used to be very popular in the hobby but arent seen so much anymore. A great addition to any collection.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Setup basically the same as GBB but overflow the water dish a little every week. Slings and juvies are pet holes but adults are extensive webers and will spend almost all their time in the hammocks that they have created. Their speed is same if not faster than GBB too. They also share the appetite.

These used to be very popular in the hobby but arent seen do much anymore. A great addition to any collection.
^^^^^ This matches mine fairly close. My slings are not burrowing as much once they reached 1.5", but they are still a little shy and run into the burrow each time I open the enclosure. My female is not as shy and doesn't move a lot. She stays in her web hammock.

It is likely that you have Davus pentaloris (or it is available to you) instead of Davus fasciatus. It is believed that fasciatus does not exist in the hobby. You should also do some searches for "pentaloris". Many sellers are mislabeling them.

Here is a Davus fasciatus - Note the dark carapace
http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0890

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I have two D. pentaloris and they're great little Ts. Slow growing, but beautiful. Mine are around 2.5" and love to make extensive burrows and webs. I need to transfer them into something taller because they've both took dirt and webbed it right in the middle of the enclosure, to the lid, so they both have a hollow "ring" around the enclosures. Little brats. Can't even lift the lid off now without messing up their homes.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I picked one up yesterday at the expo near me. The seller told me it was davus fasciatus, but I think it is probably davus pentaloris. I'll try to get some pics. This little one is definitely fast and made a run for it during the re-homing process, but I was able to catch it rather quickly. It's a 1.5" unsexed sling.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I picked one up yesterday at the expo near me. The seller told me it was davus fasciatus, but I think it is probably davus pentaloris. I'll try to get some pics. This little one is definitely fast and made a run for it during the re-homing process, but I was able to catch it rather quickly. It's a 1.5" unsexed sling.
yeah, they sure are fast for slings! Mine is like half a cm dls, if even that, but it knows how to work those miniature leggies :D

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the info everyone! As usual, everyone has been very helpful. I truly appreciate the help.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
That is because their name is changed recently ;)
Davus pentaloris is the new name.
But if you want info, you can also search for info on the name Cyclosternum fasciatum which is an older name.
The name didn't change; people just started learning (or accepting) that the real D. fasciatus isn't in the hobby. If you look online for actual pictures of D. fasciatus you'll find that they look pretty different.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The name didn't change; people just started learning (or accepting) that the real D. fasciatus isn't in the hobby. If you look online for actual pictures of D. fasciatus you'll find that they look pretty different.
It got moved from Cyclosternum in 2016.
http://www.tarantupedia.com/aviculariinae/ray-gabriel

There is some confusion for me on the spelling however. I see it in some places as fasciatum. It is listed as fasciatus in the World Spider Catalog. I guess I need to learn more latin.

EDIT* Oops. Actually your comment was correct. You were talking about pentaloris.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
It got moved from Cyclosternum in 2016.
http://www.tarantupedia.com/aviculariinae/ray-gabriel

There is some confusion for me on the spelling however. I see it in some places as fasciatum. It is listed as fasciatus in the World Spider Catalog. I guess I need to learn more latin.

EDIT* Oops. Actually your comment was correct. You were talking about pentaloris.
I'm not a Latin expert either but I was told the species have to follow the gender of the genus. Cyclosternum, the "m" being masculine, therefore, fasciatu"m" is correct.
Davus, the "s" being feminine, therefore, fasciatu"s" is correct.

I would like to know what are all the letters that identify the gender of the genus. All I know right now is "M" goes with "M" and "S" goes with "S". If anyone could correct me or educate me, please do.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm not a Latin expert either but I was told the species have to follow the gender of the genus. Cyclosternum, the "m" being masculine, therefore, fasciatu"m" is correct.
Davus, the "s" being feminine, therefore, fasciatu"s" is correct.

I would like to know what are all the letters that identify the gender of the genus. All I know right now is "M" goes with "M" and "S" goes with "S". If anyone could correct me or educate me, please do.
Er.... No.
Ending -um is neutral
Ending -us is masculine (as in dominus = The Lord)
Ending -a is feminine (as in domina = the lady)
and there are quite a few different endings, too.

Species should follow the gender of the genus, but it's not a *must*. Sometimes they don't, especially since scientific names usually are a mixture of Latin and Old Greek and some people's names. For peoples names the Genitive case is used, i.e. it usally get's an *i* at the end. In the end the Person who named the animal first is right, even if his/her scientific Latin/Greek is atrocious ;).

Sana

Arachnoprince
Er.... No.
Ending -um is neutral

Species should follow the gender of the genus, but it's not a *must*. Sometimes they don't, especially since scientific names usually are a mixture of Latin and Old Greek and some people's names. For peoples names the Genitive case is used, i.e. it usally get's an *i* at the end. In the end the Person who named the animal first is right, even if his/her scientific Latin/Greek is atrocious ;).
I was just going to summon you to the thread. Perfect timing. Thanks for the information some more!

boina

Lady of the mites
Er.... No.
Ending -um is neutral

sorry, to correct myself:
Yes, species MUST follow the gender of the genus if you are naming a new species. However, an old name has precedence even if it's grammatically wrong.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
sorry, to correct myself:
Yes, species MUST follow the gender of the genus if you are naming a new species. However, an old name has precedence even if it's grammatically wrong.
Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.