Darn. I'm probably going to lose my little N. chromatus

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Looks like this little guy is almost gone if not gone already. The substrate seemed a bit dry. I placed it on a damp paper towel. I really hope to see some movement. :( DSCN8370.JPG

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's not drinking any water from the paper towel upside down. I'd either flip it over, or try to get a drop of water in its mouth parts.

What happened leading up to this? And are you sure it's not a molt?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
It's not drinking any water from the paper towel upside down. I'd either flip it over, or try to get a drop of water in its mouth parts.

What happened leading up to this? And are you sure it's not a molt?
I got a drop on its mouth and it was gone 20 minutes later, so I gave it another. No movement yet though, but still no full death curl. Yesterday, it was moving around fine. I gave it a mini meal worm. It didn't touch it. I don't think it was molting. It molted not too long ago and I did not find it on its back.

On the upside, I did get my three little Reds today. That makes me feel a bit better, but I still hope this guy makes it.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Did the abdomen look shriveled before you flipped it? Looks OK from the bottom, but I'm wondering if this is a case of dehydration or something else entirely.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Did the abdomen look shriveled before you flipped it? Looks OK from the bottom, but I'm wondering if this is a case of dehydration or something else entirely.
Its abdomen doesn't look bad. Its not really easy to tell though because its only about 1/3 inch. Looking back at my records, this guy last molted on the 12/4/16. It may have been due for a molt, but it wasn't looking too dark yet. I don't know.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
A 1/3 inch sling that hasn't molted in well over 3 months, eh? Even with variable feeding or temps, that seems way overdue for a molt for a sling that small (unless it was Euathlus or some other really really slow grower.)

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
A 1/3 inch sling that hasn't molted in well over 3 months, eh? Even with variable feeding or temps, that seems way overdue for a molt for a sling that small (unless it was Euathlus or some other really really slow grower.)
I agree with you. That is a long time. It was kept at about 76 degrees. It doesn't look like a failed molt, unless it couldn't even get started.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It could still be trying to molt, I suppose. If so, the best thing is probably to leave it alone in a dark place. Problem is, we don't know for sure if that's the problem or not. Anyone else with more experience have some other ideas?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
It could still be trying to molt, I suppose. If so, the best thing is probably to leave it alone in a dark place. Problem is, we don't know for sure if that's the problem or not. Anyone else with more experience have some other ideas?
If it's on its back, does it still need to be dark? Its eyes are facing down, in the ground, so it can't really see the light.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I have had 2 tarantulas do this to me. In both instances they were in a complete death curl after being fine the day before. I put them in a deli cup lined with moist paper towels, kept putting water droplets on their mouth, and put them in my egg incubator that I keep warm at about 85°F. Both of the tarantulas came back from the brink of death within a day, and fully recovered in the incubator after a couple of days.
I am unsure if it was actuall dehydration, as they both always have water dishes available, but getting water inside them and warming them up seemed to do a lot in helping them recover.
I would find a nice warm place for him and keep doing what youre doing, check back ever 30 minutes or so and put new drops of water if they are gone. Goodluck! I hope the little guy makes it.