darkling beetles as feeders?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can/will a tarantula eat a darkling beetle? (For anybody who doesn't know, darkling beetles are the mature form of a superworm.) They're definitely a little harder than crickets but i don't think that would stop a mature T. Does anybody know of any toxic effects, chemical defenses etc. that would make this a bad idea?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the only thing i ave had eat imago mealworms is my crazy G. rosea when she was pregnant. nothing else has ever touched them that i have seen. i stopped trying, to be honest.

a small percentage of stuff will eat them, but it seems to be like <5% (guessing, obviously)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually, I've seen my G rosea and B smithi both eat the superworms. I've also seen my H incei eat a mealworm. I'm wondering specifically about the beetles that emerge from the chrysalis that the worm turns into. I had some superworms recently and let one mature out of curiosity. It's very cool, emerging from the chrysalis a bright red color and darkening to black as it hardens.

...Just read on wikipedia that the adult beetles have an offensive odor as a defense. Probably it would deter a T.