Darkling beetle picture thread

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
@Tenevanica how do A. laevis compare to A. verrucosus? I've thought about picking up a few at some point but was on the fence because they really are just smooth A. verrucosus. And super jealous of your Z. haldemani! Absolutely gorgeous beetle.
They are just smooth A. verrucosus. They tend to be more of a royal blue than A. verrucosus, but other than that they're basically the same. Very pretty beetles either way. I didn't know Z haldemani was so rare when I bought it. Do you know if there is a captive stock of ironclad beetles, or are they all wild collected?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They are just smooth A. verrucosus. They tend to be more of a royal blue than A. verrucosus, but other than that they're basically the same. Very pretty beetles either way. I didn't know Z haldemani was so rare when I bought it. Do you know if there is a captive stock of ironclad beetles, or are they all wild collected?
Good to know, thank you! Might have to get some then. I think pretty much all the Zopherus are rare in the hobby. As far as I know, all ironclad beetles are WC because getting them to breed in captivity is pretty arduous. Getting them to oviposit requires lichens and fairly specific fungi I think, with rotting wood mixed in too, and the larvae take a long time to reach adulthood. @Smokehound714 would know more about breeding ironclads than I would I think.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
To my knowledge no one has successfully bred Ironclad beetles and raised them to adulthood, I assume a rotten log setup would be needed to stimulate oviposition.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Good to know, thank you! Might have to get some then. I think pretty much all the Zopherus are rare in the hobby. As far as I know, all ironclad beetles are WC because getting them to breed in captivity is pretty arduous. Getting them to oviposit requires lichens and fairly specific fungi I think, with rotting wood mixed in too, and the larvae take a long time to reach adulthood. @Smokehound714 would know more about breeding ironclads than I would I think.
You beat me to the punch by a minute, you and @Tenevenica teaming up on me or something?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Lol, we do what we can ;) Just glad to hear that my info wasn't too far off lol.
Your info was straight on, I believe this species is associated with cottonwood, and whatever fungus that grows on it. I hope someone can learn how to breed these guys, we need some captive bred ironclads in the hobby.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well my Eusattus seem to have all died, what a bummer. :( All the eggs looked like they shriveled up too, despite being kept pretty moist. Don't know what I did wrong, seems these guys just don't do well in captivity.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ironclad beetles require white rotted wood to develop as larvae.

Some like hardwood, others like softwood

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well my Eusattus seem to have all died, what a bummer. :( All the eggs looked like they shriveled up too, despite being kept pretty moist. Don't know what I did wrong, seems these guys just don't do well in captivity.
Ah that's a shame, sorry to hear it! :(

Ironclad beetles require white rotted wood to develop as larvae.

Some like hardwood, others like softwood
Thanks, Smokehound!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well I may have exaggerated things a bit, turns out only two adults died, the rest seem to be just fine. I'm keeping the substrate more moist, hopefully they'll lay more eggs! :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Haha, yes! My Eusattus eggs have finally started hatching! Found a larva in the cage today, unfortunately it's too small for me to get a picture of but still, hooray! :D

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Some more darkling pics I took today!

Eleodes caudiferus female:

Eleodes hispilabris:

Eusattus muricatus egg:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
My Embaphion muricatum have been doing very well, and one has even matured! @Mastigoproctus, how are yours doing?

Pre-pupa:

Pupa:

This one looks like it'll mature soon:

Teneral adult:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Don't know why I stopped posting here, well anyways, here are some pics of species I used to keep, but never posted about here:

Eleodes acuticauda CB adults:

Eleodes tribulus CB adults:

Embaphion cf. contusum CB adults:

Eleodes osculans CB adults:

Embaphion muricatum CB adults:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Coelocnemis dilaticollis (formerly C.californica):

Coniontis sp. "CA" CB adult:

Edrotes ventricosus:

Eusattus muricatus CB larva:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Cryptoglossa muricata, "Rough black death feigning beetles". I'm up to F2 with these guys, don't think anyone's ever gotten Cryptoglossa to F2 before, except for maybe @Dean Rider.

F1 larva:

F1 pupa:

F1 adult, first pics are of it's teneral stage, then we work our way up to it being fully darkened and hardened:

Fully darkened now:

And now I've been finding small F2 larvae in the adult's bin! :) I only have three CB F1 adults, so they are true F2 offspring. Sadly I found them a little late, and it seems they cannibalized significantly before I realized my adults had even started breeding... I've found 5 larvae so far.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
The holy trinity of Piedish Beetles! 😁

The OG Pie-dish Beetles, Embaphion muricatum:

The Bruiser Pie-dish beetle, Embaphion c. contusum:

And lastly, the newest addition to culture, Embaphion glabrum, the Smooth Piedish Beetle:

tarantulaguns

Arachnopeon
The holy trinity of Piedish Beetles! 😁

The OG Pie-dish Beetles, Embaphion muricatum:

The Bruiser Pie-dish beetle, Embaphion c. contusum:

And lastly, the newest addition to culture, Embaphion glabrum, the Smooth Piedish Beetle:

I absolutely adore the pie-dish beetles! Are they kept simular to A. Verrucosus, or do they thrive better in damper conditions?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I absolutely adore the pie-dish beetles! Are they kept simular to A. Verrucosus, or do they thrive better in damper conditions?
They do like about a third of their enclosure being kept humid, but so do Asbolus IMO (with A.verrucosus being the most moisture loving of them all).

tarantulaguns

Arachnopeon
They do like about a third of their enclosure being kept humid, but so do Asbolus IMO (with A.verrucosus being the most moisture loving of them all).
Do you keep Asbolus on a sand and coco fiber mixture to achieve the humidity, then? Mine are currently on just sand, but I'm willing to make adjustments!