Dangerous spider food .

zxneon

Arachnosquire
what is dangerous to spiders and is not advised to give as food ?
I have heard only that ladybugs can be poisonous .
Is it ok to give woodlice and adult beetle (similar to Darkling beetle )?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Fireflies are very toxic. I think some smaller spiders can also be dangerous. Tiger beetles could be dangerous, and so could carabid beetles (and I suppose any other predatory beetles). I think that last group--carabid beetles--would be the most likely to be mistaken for a darkling beetle (not that you've made a mistake--they are pretty different--but do be careful)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With anything predatory you run the risk of it turning the tables and injuring or even eating your spider. Also, with anything wild caught, there is always the risk that it might be carrying nematodes or other parasites or might have been exposed to pesticides or other toxic chemicals. (That said, when I've had orb weavers, I have resorted to collecting moths under my porch light to feed them.)

zxneon

Arachnosquire
those carbid beetles and other are bad because thy are poisonous or thy just can bite ?
what if i crush beetle head first ? (as emergency food)
I need to wait for ordered crickets for tegenaria atrica .

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Carabid and tiger beetles are usually bad because they can bite. There are bombardier beetles (a kind of carabid), which can spray chemicals, but I would imagine crushing their heads would solve that problem as well. Fireflies, though, would be just as dangerous as they started.