Damon diadema and B. dubia

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All the info I can find has been people feeding crickets, with the occaisional lobster or lateralis roach. Has anyone had luck feeding exclusively B. dubia?

I hope to be cricket free as soon as my last T switches over, but I really want the D. diadema. Lobster roaches and lateralis are not going to happen for me either.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
B. dubia works fine, although sometimes you'll see a pile-up of burrowers in your sub.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Firefly mimics work well but chances are your Damon will starve to death before eating a dubia. I know in my setups a dubia would never be eaten though feeding through prekilling or specific feeding containers isn't impossible.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been thinking the same thing, seeing that dubia nymphs are burrowers and Damon are arboreal. I was actually thinking about getting a Phrynus, but it would still be the same issue. I also want to eventually use nymphs/juveniles from my dubia colony as a staple, but I was wondering whether getting a tailless whip scorp might mean still having to use crickets.

It wouldn't hurt to try using forceps to feed live nymphs, or the feeding container idea.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Firefly mimics work well but chances are your Damon will starve to death before eating a dubia. I know in my setups a dubia would never be eaten though feeding through prekilling or specific feeding containers isn't impossible.
+1 the best bet would be Naupheta cinerea (lobster roach). But I have found the best all-around feeder is still crickets for my whips. With the odd lobster roach for variety . Keep them fat and happy and this is what you get.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Almost all Amblypygids are in general more or less arboreal. I see mine (I keep two Phrynus species) rarely on the substrate.
Feed anything that does not burrow into your sub. I doubt you could feed this shy and skittish animals with forceps, but do tell us the results, if you are going to try.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Thanks. I've read that one before, but worth the re-read.
I was actually curious about using B. dubias as food for the D. diadema.
Ohh, whoops.. sorry about that! lol. I must have read the thread wrong. I hope you got the answers you needed, Good Luck! :)

Trogdora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both my adult male and my juvie will readily take dubia. I just drop the roach near them and they'll snatch it right up. The male is a very messy eater though...

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I might just have to try it. I'll plan on being stuck with crickets and hope for the best. If I get them I will post back with results.
Thanks for all the help.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Great! I'm always nervous about the young amblys as they're very finicky. The adults of the species you have take dubia nymphs quite willingly.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am REALLY reaching here, but do amblypygids ever take prekilled like T's and scorpions sometimes will?

I don't see this ever happening, but I thought that about T's too.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry I missed this before posting above. Looks like I am going to be stuck with crickets. I need to get some type of amblypygid now!

Thanks again for all the help.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would like to try lats, but I'm afraid of escapes. Don't want to deal with the wife, landlord, or an infestation. They are just too "roachy".
Right now I can say "They aren't roaches, they're dubias", and do it with a straight face... doubt that would work with lats.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Haven't had any luck personally w/ lats...I assumed it was because of their speed. I never did try the Firefly mimics as Orin suggested, but Panchlora nivea(banana roach) worked OK. The enclosure has to be absolutely secure though and they do burrow.

Borya

Arachnopeon
In my opinion, it's a hard thing for Damons to hold huge specimens of this species because of their chunky stature and thick cuticle. I prefer to feed only freshly molted white Dubias. In this case they can take even adult roaches, which are as big as they are, without effort.