D.diadema gravid behaviour?

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just wondering do gravid females act in a certain way before the eggs are visible?
My females abdomen seems to be a very slightly different shape as of late, the underside and top side used to be as rounded as each other but now the bottom side of her abdomen seems to be slightly flatter. I havent checked properly as i dont want to disturb her, she's also a bit more out in the open when i see her, used to be the shyest one :/

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok i've got a good look at her since, and yeah the underside seems to be sunken in very slightly, she's not thin and is quite well fed, fingers crossed :)

ballpythonteen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah sorry i was hoping people would post on this casue i was intrested in this to. as i have a pair together. you will have to let me know what you find out.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She's got eggs :D
She's sat outside of the bark facing up, with a white mass pooling under her abdomen which im assuming are eggs :D

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

I wondered how the hanging bag of eggs get stuck all underside the abdomen but just checking on her now i can see that they curve their abdomen around the mass then just straighten it out, hope all goes well :D

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, as soon as its all dried im going to seperate them, lost count of how many spermetaphores he's made :?

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've never seen mine be aggressive towards each other either, i've just read a couple of instances where the males do get aggressive towards females after they've laid if you can it that. Better to be safe than sorry when in only have the 2 :)

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, part of my post didn't show up.
My female was acting a little strange, alone, unusual location, and not moving for a couple days before eggs were noticed.

Athelas

Arachnopeon
Don't know if you've seen this book, but it looks like there is an entire section on behavior and reproduction in whip spiders. And a million other things about the Amblypygi!

http://books.google.com/books?id=GD...P1#v=onepage&q=damon diadema brooding&f=false

Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------