Cysts/Cancers in tarantulas. Survey/Fact gathering thread.

tarantellajen

Arachnopeon
Update from post 3: Tarantula (adult female Thrixopelma ockerti) is still alive and doing well. Cyst is still there and appears to have decreased a small amount in size, maybe not protruding as much. Molts have been successful. The water bowl is not always clean; sometimes it gets low and scuzzy and when I notice that I change it for fresh water. The small cyst near the top book lung was first noticed in late 2012.
Update (post 3, 19): 3/2/16 She molted within the last week. The cyst is still present and looks white, scleritized and about the same size as it has always been. I was able to remove the molt and could examine the intact area of interest. There is a quite small amount of white that may be shed book lung but it is mostly gone as opposed to the other three that shed out normally. Where the book lung should be you see an outline and depression, and there is a thin membrane in the area, with a few red particles near the posterior edge. So maybe the old book lung is being retained, or not developing. But I'm no expert on the shedding of organs in tarantulas.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update from post #14. The spider molted today and survived with no help from me. His abdomen looks deformed with wrinkles on his "bad side"
Photo

Otherwise he's healthy and moving normally.
Molted again on 5-17 and is doing ok still. Abdomen is still oddly shaped, resembling a jelly bean. Finally, a name for this one!
DSCF8825.JPG

AgainstAllGods

Arachnopeon
I'm going to start gathering the photos I have and fill out the survey when I get home from work but I was just wondering if there is anyone that I can speak to about what exactly it is I need to do to give my Avic the best shot at survival.

Saark

Arachnosquire
Update from Post #18

My B. vagans had its ultimate molt and as a MM, the cysts vanished and it lived about 1 1/2yrs post molt. I didn't change anything and I still don't know what those cysts were caused by...

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update from post #15

The S. calceatum did not make it and died within a month of my post. Additionally, my T. blondi:

1) Temperature range.
mid to high 70's, hitting low 80's in summer

2) Humidity range.
high

3) Was a clean water bowl available at all times?(Yes/No)
yes

4) Feeder item background information(Species and what the food items ate/drank).
crickets with infrequent mealworm

5) When did the first signs of any Cyst/lesion/growth appear?

6) Did the specimen ever recover?
Yes, all signs cleared up within a few instars

7) If it recovered, did it ever show signs of another occurrence of Cyst/lesion/growth
No

8) If the specimen died while still displaying signs of cyst/lesion/growth, How long after the first signs did it live until passing?
n/a

9) Where sibling/parents of the affected spider in you care? Did they show similar symptoms?
No, n/a

10) Prior to the specimen displaying any signs of il health, was there any major changes to its environment/spider room/care?
No

11) Where there any pesticides spray in or around your home?
No

12) Do you own any cats or dogs?
Yes, but no contact

13) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery.
I moved her to a tank with less vertical space so she couldn't fall and rupture the cyst. It cleared up on its own within 2-3 instars without recurrence.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
On May 6, 2017, I acquired a Brachypelma albiceps juvenile female - approximately 3". I received her in her enclosure which was very dirty and didn't seem to have been cleaned for a long time. She had less than an inch of substrate and no water dish or hide (they could have been removed before she was handed over to me) and the substrate was very dry and caked. Previous owner said that she last moulted in January or February 2017.
She was very dull and dirty looking, and very lethargic, so I thought that she might be starting to go into pre-moult. On May 12 2017, I noticed her sitting over her water dish for many hours - probably up to a day. She moved off herself, I did not move her. On May 15, I noticed that she was sitting grasping a lot of substrate in her fangs. Because I experienced the same with one of my elderly tarantulas shortly before she died, it bothered me. I decided to have a quick look at her as well as to try to offer her some water manually. While I was doing that, I noticed that her sternum was bald and looked to have a growth on it.
Although I have offered her a medium cricket, or meal worm, every weekend since I got her - she has never eaten with me.

1) Temperature range.
Room temperature - around 24C/75F constantly.
2) Humidity range.
Low ambient humidity, but her substrate was fairly new and not completely dried out. I had been overflowing the water dish, and about 25% of the enclosure, because I thought she might be in pre-moult and her previous enclosure had zero moisture in it. I prefer to inject the water under the surface instead of wetting the surface for drier species. I never mist.
Since May 6, 2017, yes.
4) Feeder item background information(Species and what the food items ate/drank).
Offered both medium crickets and medium meal worms with no success.
May 15, 2017.
TBD
7) If it recovered, did it ever show signs of another occurrence of Cyst/lesion/growth
TBD
8) If the specimen died while still displaying signs of cyst/lesion/growth, How long after the first signs did it live until passing?
TBD
9) Where sibling/parents of the affected spider in you care? Did they show similar symptoms?
Unknown.
10) Prior to the specimen displaying any signs of ill health, was there any major changes to its environment/spider room/care?
She was picked up about an hour away from me on May 6 and transferred into a new enclosure on the same day. Nothing since.
No.
Yes, but they do not have access to her. The cats are indoor only and are not treated with any anti-parasitic medications. Neither have I been in contact with animals who have.
13) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery.
TBD
DSC01992 (2)-2.jpg
DSC04383-2.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Update from post #26.
The Brachypelma albiceps female has successfully moulted and is doing extremely well. There are no signs of lethargy - that was more than likely caused by pre-moult. The moulting process went without incident.
I took photos of her at the tail end of her moult and the lump is still there, albeit smaller at that point. I also took photos of what the lump looks like on the shed exuvia. It's hollow, so whatever is there has just shed the outside lining along with everything else.

DSC04512-2.jpg DSC04493-2.jpg DSC04482-2.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
When you use a "/", or Virgule, it means and/or and indicates a choice between two words. Cyst and/or Cancer, Survey and/or Fact Gathering. Cyst/Cancer does not indicate that they are synonymous - it indicates and/or.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
@VanessaS I agree with what you said, but I just want to clarify what I meant because I don't think I was very clear before.

Tumors and cysts can be different entities and by definition the are different and separate from each other, however, on imaging a tumor can appear cystic and be cystic in nature because they have a fluid filled center yet they are not a cyst due to other pathologic findings. The same goes for malignancies. There are malignancies that appear cystic on imaging and are mistaken for cysts, when in fact they are a malignant cancer. I see it all the time in my field. I attend tumor boards weekly and see these discussions. They are quite interesting.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to take the information on this thread as anything other than an anecdotal collection of what might be cysts or cancer, because that is all it is. I doubt that the expectation is to definitely diagnose whether these conditions are a cyst, cancer, benign or malignant from a photograph and a dozen questions on a forum. That is not a reasonable outcome.
I took this thread as a means of providing comparative information, so people could use it if they encounter a similar situation. Perhaps helping them to take measures to increase the life expectancy of their tarantula, or get a good idea if other individuals did/did not survive with similar abnormalities.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Update from post #26.
She moulted again on September 11, 2017. There are still signs of the abnormality on her exuvia, but it is smaller this time around. So was the pre-moult lump. It was more difficult to get a clear shot this time because her sternum is not as bald as it was going into the last moult. I was unable to get a photo of her on her back after moulting this time, so I have no idea if it is still there or changed at all.
She has been fine with no obvious health concerns. I will continue to monitor it and I am hoping that it just ends up going away altogether at some point.
DSC05881-2.jpg
DSC06042-2.jpg

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Well, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to take the information on this thread as anything other than an anecdotal collection of what might be cysts or cancer, because that is all it is. I doubt that the expectation is to definitely diagnose whether these conditions are a cyst, cancer, benign or malignant from a photograph and a dozen questions on a forum. That is not a reasonable outcome.
I took this thread as a means of providing comparative information, so people could use it if they encounter a similar situation. Perhaps helping them to take measures to increase the life expectancy of their tarantula, or get a good idea if other individuals did/did not survive with similar abnormalities.
I agree. I have a hard time putting into words my exact intent from my post. I was just responding to the statement made by @darkmoon500 that tumors are not cysts. I was just saying that it really isn't that simple. I do agree that we don't need to get so technical here for this purpose.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
1) 70-80.

2)

3)yes

Blah blah blah

I've noticed with all 3 of my Brachypelma albopilosums, that when they get fat, and get nearer to a molt, they develop a sort of rubbing mark on their underside. Not much of a cyst, but still a "skin" issue.

So far there's no I'll effects, but it is curious..

xRindal

Arachnopeon
Hey i have just gotten this spider today, and found this under her abdomen. i have been in contact with breeder who doesnt know what it is, and havent seen it before. do you guys have and idea of what it could be, and if it is hurting/disturbing her in any way?

Attachments

SoullessRaven

Arachnopeon
Grammostola Vachoni (sub adult, I think 1 molt away from maturity) - male
Raised him since he was a 2cm sling

1) Temperature range.
24(min) - 28(max) °C
Most of the time around 26°C

2) Humidity range.

Approx 65%

Yes from when he was big enough for one, although he always buries it.

Blatta lateralis - 1 adult once a week

Noticed it in the beginning of April, when he started refusing food

Still alive, cyst keeps getting bigger and the abdomen keeps swelling even tho he hasn't eaten in almost 2 months

N/A

N/A

I have 3 other siblings of this tarantula (I've had them all from slings) the others don't show any signs of having it, the breeder who I got them from says the parents were fine too.

10) Prior to the specimen displaying any signs of il health, was there any major changes to its environment/spider room/care?

About 6months before it showed up I had transferred him to a larger enclosure (about 4 weeks after he had a shed)

No

I have cats but they don't have access to the spider room

N/A

Apart from refusing to eat, I've noticed that hes become more skittish, everytime I check on him he hurries into his hide, whereas before he would never run away or hide, even if he was about to shed.
The lump or distorted area also has a red tint to it which makes it look kinda like a bruise, but what's weird is that his abdomen keeps getting bigger even tho he hasn't eaten in 2 months, whereas his siblings who are still eating, their abdomen's are half the size.

If he passes away or gets better I will update this.

Attachments

SoullessRaven

Arachnopeon
Grammostola Vachoni (sub adult, I think 1 molt away from maturity) - male
Raised him since he was a 2cm sling

1) Temperature range.
24(min) - 28(max) °C
Most of the time around 26°C

2) Humidity range.
Approx 65%

Yes from when he was big enough for one, although he always buries it.

Blatta lateralis - 1 adult once a week

Noticed it in the beginning of April, when he started refusing food

Still alive, cyst keeps getting bigger and the abdomen keeps swelling even tho he hasn't eaten in almost 2 months

N/A

N/A

I have 3 other siblings of this tarantula (I've had them all from slings) the others don't show any signs of having it, the breeder who I got them from says the parents were fine too.

About 6months before it showed up I had transferred him to a larger enclosure (about 4 weeks after he had a shed)

No

I have cats but they don't have access to the spider room

N/A

Apart from refusing to eat, I've noticed that hes become more skittish, everytime I check on him he hurries into his hide, whereas before he would never run away or hide, even if he was about to shed.
The lump or distorted area also has a red tint to it which makes it look kinda like a bruise, but what's weird is that his abdomen keeps getting bigger even tho he hasn't eaten in 2 months, whereas his siblings who are still eating, their abdomen's are half the size.

If he passes away or gets better I will update this.
Safely molted, turns out she's female 😢 she still has a small lump, and the skin on top of that area didn't molt off properly, but otherwise eating and moving fine and like normal, it's been a couple of weeks since the molt.

Will update again if theres any news.

Attachments

SymphonyMarie

Arachnopeon
Subadult Poecilotheria metallica

1) Temperature range. 78° F, Constant

2) Humidity range. Approx. 70-75%

3) Was a clean water bowl available at all times?
Yes

4) Feeder item background information
Dubai roaches from my home colony. Occasionally hornworms as a treat. Roaches on a diet of nutritional yeast and raw vegetables.

Discovered after death, but behavior had been abnormal for several months.

6) Did the specimen ever recover? No.

7) If it recovered, did it ever show signs of another occurrence of Cyst/lesion/growth N/A

Specimen became very shy, rarely out and rarely accepted food. Still drinking and defecating normally. Interestingly, the cyst was near a leg that had been regrown two molts ago. Specimen appears to have died during molt; she flipped and then did not move or make any progress for several days. No popped carapace or limbs, just in standard molt position. No death curl. Cyst blended with book lungs/alcove region so it was missed.

9) Where sibling/parents of the affected spider in you care? Did they show similar symptoms? N/A

No changes.

No.

No.

13) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery. N/A

Attachments

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Subadult female Poecilotheria metallica
Ill update this post as she progresses, still kicking atm.
1) Temperature range.
Room temp, 78 during day, 68 at night.

2) Humidity range.
Don't measure, but whatever the average humidity is in a florida house with A/C

3) Was a clean water bowl available at all times?
Yes

4) Feeder item background information
Crickets and superworms, always bought.

2 months ago, slight lopsidedness on dorsal side of abdomen

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

No

Yes, but they have been sprayed for years in my home, never any issues. Tarantula room not sprayed.

No.

Trying to feed the bare minimum atm, will update.