Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati- Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

JenniePennie

Arachnopeon
Today, I brought home a Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati sling. This is my second tarantula, and my first old world tarantula. I was nervous about how aggressive they can be, but the woman at the reptile and invert shop assured me that I should be just fine if I don't intend to handle the tarantula.

Now...I'm second guessing myself.

Does anybody have any tips or experience to pass on to a newbie Hati Hati mom?

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are on another level than beginner speicies for sure. Problem is not handling, cos you basicly shouldnt handle it. Problems are when rehousing or even opens the lid for feeding or watering and the spider bolts. Never listen to petshop owner. They wants to sell and they often knows little about tarantulas, husbanary wise and otherwise! Good thing is that its a sling, but even slings of this speicies can give a beginner problems!

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Today, I brought home a Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati sling. This is my second tarantula, and my first old world tarantula. I was nervous about how aggressive they can be, but the woman at the reptile and invert shop assured me that I should be just fine if I don't intend to handle the tarantula.

Now...I'm second guessing myself.

Does anybody have any tips or experience to pass on to a newbie Hati Hati mom?
Definitely not a beginner species, don’t listen to anything at all in pet shops most the time they don’t have a clue and just want to make a sale. Because it is a sling it will be slightly more manageable so I’d suggest to start learning fast there not the fastest growers but still faster than any new world terrestrial so you will end up with a big spider soon. Never handle any T but that’s not the only reason this isn’t a beginner T they are pretty defensive so always use tongs and have a catch cup ready.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
House it in a bigger than normal enclosure. Give it plenty of substrate so it can burrow a little and create web tubes up the backside of a piece of cork bark that you will be putting in. Always use tongs and know where your tarantula is before opening and you will be just fine.

cold blood

Staff member
Well....first off, vermiculite isnt a substrate, its a substrate ADDITIVE....so it should be re housed right away.

These require damp sub, and they grow very fast...be careful....as usual, the reptile store didnt do you any favors...never listen to pet store employees...this is rule #1 when it comes to buying ts.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
This species needs damp substrate, but as coldblood said, that much vermiculite isn't dense enough to hold shape well for the tarantula. Its reinforced what it has now with silk to make it work better but I would definitely rehouse it. For being new to OWs, I'd suggest you might want to look at the the tarantula 'bag transfer' method in just a quick Youtube search.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but the woman at the reptile and invert shop assured me that I should be just fine if I don't intend to handle the tarantula.
A tiger is just fine if you don't handle it either. But you do need to interact w/a Tiger, and this T, eg rehousing. Clearly this person was looking to make a buck and that's all.

Does anybody have any tips
Sell it. This species grows fast, and your experience is not the most expansive I gather, it will out grow your skill set. You are in deep water. Good luck!

It's really important you ask people here rather than just buy.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Asian species are some of the most advanced in the hobby, they have kinda specific husbandry requirements coupled with their insane speed/defensiveness.

If returning/selling/trading it is out of the question then you're going to have to make some enclosure adjustments, straight vermiculite is not a suitable substrate (it's an additive that helps with soil aeration/moisture retention), you'll need to change it out for coco fibre/topsoil/peat.

Setup should be a well ventilated 32oz deli or similar filled about 1/3 of the way with moist (not wet) substrate, a vertical bark piece, low-mid level plant cover around the bark, and a water dish. I've attached a pic of my O. schioedtei sling setup to give you an idea.

DSC_0001.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
coupled with their insane speed/defensiveness
Such an exaggeration, they are as furry as a kitty cat that is begging for attention, just pick them up, instead of ignoring them in some container, that's the problem!:troll:

I know for a fact that if you put them all together, like kittens, they will get more friendly:troll::wacky:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Such an exaggeration, they are as furry as a kitty cat that is begging for attention, just pick them up, instead of ignoring them in some container, that's the problem!:troll:
You're right, my L. nigerrimum female just wants kisses, I'm such a horrible facsimile of a human being :troll:

L. nigerrimum threat.jpg

JenniePennie

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for this! Definitely a helpful reply, and the pic was very helpful. I was able to rehouse it with proper substrate, but it's top ventilated. I want it to have proper cross ventilation, so I'm currently online trying to find the best acrylic enclosure with good cross vent.

Obviously, I am aware that I may need to trade it or sell it to someone with more experience. I called the shop, and I was told they don't take returns. But the woman I spoke to said I could call tomorrow and talk to the owner (who is the person who sold me the spider yesterday) to see if we could work something out. They do have a couple of beginner species like curly hairs available, though most of their current selection are old world arboreals. It might be possible to trade this one for one or two of those. I'll find a way out tomorrow.

After reading the comments in this thread and others about this species, as well as watching a TON of videos, I'm feeling a bit more confident. That said, my confidence is not nearly as important as the well-being of this spider, and I will do whatever I have to to make sure it gets the proper care, whether that means keeping it or finding a more experienced caretaker for it.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
I don't think swapping for another OW arboreal will help your situation at all... they are all incredibly agile and fast.

B. albopilosum (curly hair) on the other hand is an excellent spider for beginners and experts alike!

Best of luck, hope it all works out.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
In my experience, the species is just a pet hole. Very fast yes but 99% chance it will just fo down its hole.

Rehousings are the main time of concern but with some attention to detail, good methods, and knowing what to expect i think i can be done. My personal opinion is that the difficulty of oldworlds is exaggerated a wee bit. There are some people who are not ready. But most people i have personally interacted with that got oldworldss right away have done just fine so far. I would not reccomend one to a beginner, but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t handle it.

All that said, if you are not comfortable with it, by all means try to get it into the hands of somebody who is.

JenniePennie

Arachnopeon
Yes, I agree! Swapping this OW arboreal for another doesn't make sense. I meant trading for a curly hair :) I don't recall seeing any other NW terrestrials there. They have a TON of Birdeaters, though I am not ready to go that route either.

After all the bad information I got from the woman at the shop (apparently she's the owner), I am hesitant to return this one to her, even if she decides to allow a return or exchange. I am not confident she can care for it properly. I certainly will not be buying any others from her. Sticking with experienced t keepers and breeders from now on!

cold blood

Staff member
They have a TON of Birdeaters, though I am not ready to go that route either.
The term birdeater is a broadly. generic term that means South American terrestrial that reaches at least 5 in or better. It is not a descriptive term in any way shape or form. Many so-called bird eaters, would make fine first tarantulas