Cyriopagopus Lividus

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
Beautiful looking spider for sure 👍. Be careful handling it, as a fossorial species it may be quite bolty and leap from your hand. I also know Cyriopagopus sp, OW T's by the way, tend to be pretty testy and have a bite to back up their attitude. The other thing about handling is it stresses the T out putting it in a position where it is likely to harm itself or perish by bolting off your hand. Handling is more something you do if you have *NO OTHER OPTIONS* and you must move the spider. Same applies for NW species. Cannot stress it enough but handling will seriously stress your T out.

That being said I do have an OBT who is very tolerant of my presence, still would never pick her up unless absolutely necessary. I did pick her up once but that was a last resort during a rehouse gone pear shaped, kept her close to the ground and had an extra hand ready to catch her if she jumped. This was all done in a controlled setting, even then I was super cautious.

No judgement at all, just want to help. There is a lot of handling misinformation, I have experienced firsthand. Just be mindful and considerate to your eight-legged pals. Cheers and happy T keeping.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It likely won't be as docile after it molts, it's pretty plump... I think I'd avoid handling this as much as any lol, check out a bite report some time. Beautiful T.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
If you are going out of your way to dig that spider up just to hold it, it's just a matter of time and fact before you get a bite or you end up disturbing it while it's molting and kill it .
It would not surprise me if you have it housed in the most crappy enclosure possible either.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Beautiful specimen. However, not a species to handle. They have a nasty bite and powerful venom for a tarantula. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
If you are going out of your way to dig that spider up just to hold it, it's just a matter of time and fact before you get a bite or you end up disturbing it while it's molting and kill it .
It would not surprise me if you have it housed in the most crappy enclosure possible either.
You got no context for that. Maybe OP is moving it from a cup at a reptile show into a nice enclosure.

I wouldn’t hold it, but someone holding a spider isn’t always a lack of understanding what the animal is

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I doubt he got it out to hold it... if kept halfway right, it's not an easy task, and I doubt it would be sitting calmly, but who knows. Not sure how one would even go about it without destroying everything.. tickle it up maybe, then what :lol:
20231007_133424.jpg

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
You got no context for that. Maybe OP is moving it from a cup at a reptile show into a nice enclosure.

I wouldn’t hold it, but someone holding a spider isn’t always a lack of understanding what the animal is
I've got what? Why don't you jump off whatever cliff your standing on the edge of .

Context my butt. I've got all the context in the world .
Who gives a toss what they are doing.
Do you notice at all how far along that spider is from molting? Have you kept this species of spider to realize that?
So you are condoning with handling spider's period?
And who the heck does that at a show?
You just drive the point home as to why this is a not hobby for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I've got what? Why don't you jump off whatever cliff your standing on the edge of .

Context my butt. I've got all the context in the world .
Who gives a toss what they are doing.
Do you notice at all how far along that spider is from molting? Have you kept this species of spider to realize that?
So you are condoning with handling spider's period?
And who the heck does that at a show?
You just drive the point home as to why this is a not hobby for everyone.
I have kept this species. I’m not condoning handling. I never said it was at a show. I know people who handle old worlds and bark scorpions despite having been bitten or stung and decades in the hobby. I’m just saying it happens. People handle cobras. Just because someone does something you or I think isn’t a good idea doesn’t mean they aren’t aware of the consequences. Maybe op knows maybe he doesn’t.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Yes I mis read the show part my bad I apologize.
Maybe the op does or doesn't,but at least now they are aware.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I leave the lid off mine for feeding, then come back when it's out. I guess if it was up there doing the walka-wave, it might be hard not to handle. So far it just sits there waiting for food though, it has no reason to leave its burrow. If it did, the conditions would probably need looking into...

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I leave the lid off mine for feeding, then come back when it's out. I guess if it was up there doing the walka-wave, it might be hard not to handle. So far it just sits there waiting for food though, it has no reason to leave its burrow. If it did, the conditions would probably need looking into...
My friend. You are talking to a member who has several Cyriopagopus species and I have one that's well documented on here that's an adult female that I have feeding clips I will not post because she is just as chill as you say your's are . A bunch of others are typically what people have and not so chill.

One out of about 60 or more.
Yup none of mine ever move out of their burrows.

I'd like to offer this educational moment.
This picture is of a unknown but typical what exactly you would find in nature Cyriopagopus burrow opening.

That's over two years in the same tank. I'm saying it took her over two years to do that and why ?
She's in substrate for days even has backing boards and it worked.

Wrong tank. She needs a halplo tank . Would have been awesome. I screwed up don't have the heart to ruin her work.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My friend. You are talking to a member who has several Cyriopagopus species and I have one that's well documented on here that's an adult female that I have feeding clips I will not post because she is just as chill as you say your's are . A bunch of others are typically what people have and not so chill.

One out of about 60 or more.
Often visible, but I wouldn't say chill. Only spider I have that has threat posed me, turned right at me to do so, not the brush. I think if I didn't just leave it alone, it wouldn't seem so chill. And the feed response on these.. a finger close by? just no.

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
The name is literally LIVIDus. The person who named them must have thought "wow these spiders are sooo angry."