Cyriopagopus albostriatus availability/care

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Just curious about the general availability of these guys. Did a quick search on the forums and online in general, they don't seem to be super available. The local exotics shop has 2 juvies about 2.5", and happen to be having a 20% off sale until the end of the month. They're gorgeous, and I've been debating adding a burrower to the collection - needless to say I'm tempted. Would these make an acceptable first old world?

As far as care goes, deep substrate (duh) with some humidity is the consensus I've found. Am I missing anything dire?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Strike the word "humidity" from your T-keeper vocabulary... the term means moisture in the air, which isn't something Ts benefit from and it can be detrimental to them.

Moist, deep substrate and a water dish is all you need. They are my favourite Haplopelma/Cyrio... such a gorgeous species.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I have a female C.albostriatium. My local pet store where I buy most of my tarantulas had 4 of these guys for sale when I bought mine. Just like any fossorial tarantula you have to provide plenty of substrate. Being it's an asian fossorial you have to provide plenty of MOIST substrate. I started a burrow for mine where I could observe best and she took it and made her own. Mine is a great eater and I see it at night and when I get up at 430am for work at burrow entrance. A beautiful tarantula that is stupid easy to keep if you follow my advice, DEEP MOIST SUBSTRATE. Good luck hope you get one.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Standard Asian fossorial care, deep/moist substrate, hide with a starter burrow, and a water dish.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Just curious about the general availability of these guys. Did a quick search on the forums and online in general, they don't seem to be super available. The local exotics shop has 2 juvies about 2.5", and happen to be having a 20% off sale until the end of the month. They're gorgeous, and I've been debating adding a burrower to the collection - needless to say I'm tempted. Would these make an acceptable first old world?

As far as care goes, deep substrate (duh) with some humidity is the consensus I've found. Am I missing anything dire?
Don't know how much experience you have, but this is not great beginner species...they are quite defensive, and pack some pretty strong venom.

I would avoid anything Cyriopagopus for now, you can work your way up...but no need to rush, there are so many better beginner genera to choose from.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Nice fossorial Mansion.
I keep ALL my fossorials this way, have been since day 1 of keeping. I have never had a threat posture thrown at me in almost 12 years of keeping fossorials. They ALL retreat to there burrows at slightest disturbances. The only pictures I have is rehousing from pet store container to permanent enclosures. After that I never know when I will see again so I just buy more so my odds go up, lol.
It works for me so I will continue to do so.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I keep ALL my fossorials this way, have been since day 1 of keeping. I have never had a threat posture thrown at me in almost 12 years of keeping fossorials. They ALL retreat to there burrows at slightest disturbances. The only pictures I have is rehousing from pet store container to permanent enclosures. After that I never know when I will see again so I just buy more so my odds go up, lol.
It works for me so I will continue to do so.
Wasn't criticizing it lol, nothing wrong with your setup...I have my Hysterocrates AF's housed pretty much the same way.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all the advice! Definitely gonna pick one up at some point but I'll probably wait until I have more experience to tackle old worlds.

On that note... any reasons you guys would advise against an Ephebopus rufescens? I'm debating between either that or an A genic instead, but E rufescens seems like an uncommon find I should pick up while I have the chance.

Quick note on experience: currently have an A hentzi, GBB, and an Avic. Had several rehousings on each, so far all went well. Itching to grow the collection by at least one more though.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Check out p. Sazimai may be? A. Genic are good to tho. No exp with the other, I've only been in the hobby a short minute, 7 months, but I went ahead and dipped my head in the ow pool, with a L.v and C.fimbriatus, both have been fine so far 3 months in into having them. Just gotta be aware during feeding n cleaning, and if you have done some homework on the species you would be ok. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thanks for all the advice! Definitely gonna pick one up at some point but I'll probably wait until I have more experience to tackle old worlds.

On that note... any reasons you guys would advise against an Ephebopus rufescens? I'm debating between either that or an A genic instead, but E rufescens seems like an uncommon find I should pick up while I have the chance.

Quick note on experience: currently have an A hentzi, GBB, and an Avic. Had several rehousings on each, so far all went well. Itching to grow the collection by at least one more though.
Check out the Nhandhu genus, chromatus and tripepii are my personal favorites. These are larger more feisty tarantulas, and should be the perfect step up from your current collection...Ephebopus should be fine as well.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Check out the Nhandhu genus, chromatus and tripepii are my personal favorites. These are larger more feisty tarantulas, and should be the perfect step up from your current collection...Ephebopus should be fine as well.

Wow...that first picture is breathtaking. I've seen some A genic/ N chromatus debates on here but so far was leaning Genic. That may not be the case anymore. I'll see if the local shop has any.

Unfortunately I'm limited to buying in person for now; packages at my apartment complex either go to the front office or get left in the security doorway, neither of which I trust with a T's life. I'll keep an eye out though, thank you!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Ephebopus should be fine as well.
@Sterls I second this. Particularly with E. murinus, looks and behaves a lot like an OW while having the benefit of not being as hard on the venom. Absolutely gorgeous T that's an obligate burrower like Cyriopagopus spp., so its behavior would get you pretty good experience if you're set on eventually having a C. albostriatus.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unfortunately I'm limited to buying in person for now; packages at my apartment complex either go to the front office or get left in the security doorway, neither of which I trust with a T's life. I'll keep an eye out though, thank you!
You can always have packages held for pickup at your local FedEx instead :D

tylrp

Arachnopeon
Don't know how much experience you have, but this is not great beginner species...they are quite defensive, and pack some pretty strong venom.

I would avoid anything Cyriopagopus for now, you can work your way up...but no need to rush, there are so many better beginner genera to choose from.
How do you feel about Australians who can only start with old worlds? I ask as my first t was a C Darlingi.?

wvtarantulaguy

Arachnopeon

I'm about 7 months I to keeping myself and at first people kinda scared me away from OW's. My 5th and 6th T was an OBT and S Cal lol. Old worlds aren't that much different other than the aspect of being alot more careful and mindful that they have the potential for serious symptoms from bites. Honestly I had 0 problems other than the S cal got loose on first rehouse and I was too inexperienced at the time and freaked. A month later I got 9 more Ts mostly OW and rehousing all that evening went nothing other than perfect. Imo old worlds are better and no urticating hairs are huge for me as I handle pretty much everything. I'd highly suggest getting anything Psalmopoeus. My favorite NW genus and doesn't have urtic hairs but still reacts like an old world alot and has some stronger venom. P victori, irninia, ecclesiasticus, pulcher, reduncus are all gorgoues Ts and arboreal so you'll see them more. Sorry for the book lol just wanted to pass on my experience some. Best of luck!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
C. Lividus Resides in a Hole... Likes to show off great looking legs.:drunk: lol

Last edited: