Cyriocosmus behaviour?

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I currently keep C. perezmilesi, elegans and bertae, juvenile to subadult. They are housed in tall containers with 15cm substrate, some cork and a small premade burrow the size of finger. Uptil now i have seen alot of different behaviour between the specimen, also within one species. Some tend to use the burrow and dig deeper (but never to the floor as of now). Others stay under the cork and barely burrow at all. Then I have some which make quite alot of webbing, almost like you would expect from a Chromatopelma. I even have one bertae which just made new burrow straight down. It hunts almost like a trapdoor, just without the door. So I have everything from Chromatopelmaish to Grammostolaish and Haplopelma style use of the containers.

What are your expiriences so far? And with which housing-strategy have you had the most success? Im abit unsure if this variation is normal for the genus or if I am doing something wrong which makes them seek alternative ways of getting by.

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Noone? I didn't think so few people were working with this genus?

eporter

Arachnopeon
I got one!

I have a C.elegans, first one of that species for me, but its still pretty small, like the size of my thumb nail or so....It's 24/7 in burrows that I made for it and it expanded. It will go outside of the burrow to look for food but it will also do the whole trap door thing. When it is mature I hope it does less of the pet hole thing but it sounds like it probably will stay somewhat like that.

I would be curious to know more about what yours do, its hard to find good info on them in the interwebs....or I just don't know where to look. :wall:

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My C. elegans have all made web tunnels under the plants and some tunnels into the substrate. They webbed up most of the foliage and seem to spend most of their time in self made hides under leafs. They are all in small size KK with a couple inches of substrate and lots of artificial foliage.

eporter

Arachnopeon
substrate used?

I have been using damp eco earth for my C.elegans but its hard to keep mold free. its easier to keep mold free now that I added more ventalation, but that has other issues like remembering to spray down certain areas that like to dry out. I was going to mix in peat moss into the eco earth after my T molts. I was wondering if like a 50/50 mix would be good to hold onto the moisture or if a different mixture would be good? my T is only 1.5 cm from spinnerettes to fangs (body length) so I was also wondering if he/she is too small to add the moss to the ecoearth??? Anyway, any feed back would be great.:) All of my other T's like super dry environments so this is a bit new for me.