Cyclosternum pentalore - Want to know more

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Alright, my curiosity is peaked and I can't find enough info to satisfy me on this species. Big Dragonfly posted a link to this pic on Rick West's site http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/2/0047.htm. What an amazing looking spider! Unfortunately, I can't find out bupkiss on it, nor can I even really get what I would consider confirmation that what Rick West has pictured is a genuine C. pentalore (and if not, I have to know what it is).

It was originally in the genus Davus, later transferred to Pseudoschizopelma, finally moved to Cyclosternum. The species name was originally pentaloris, and is now pentalore according to Platnick.

Of the half dozen photos or so that I could find on the web searching for the various combos of Davus, Pseudoschizopelma, and Cyclosternum matched with pentaloris or pentalore, none slightly resembled West's shot. Some didn't appear to be anything other than a tigerrump, others showed something that looked exactly like a tigerrump other than some minor golden striping on the legs. All had the metallic red carapace of tigerrumps and blackish legs.

Does anyone know anything about this "golden tigerrump" that West has pictured? Were the other pentalore misidentified, or is it Mr. West who has made the error (heh)? Was it ever really in the pet trade?

It is rare that a picture sets me off drooling, but, I am guilty in this case. If I could find whatever it is that West has pictured, I'd be willing to drop some money on that. That is easily one of the most nicely marked spiders I've ever seen.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey CM,

Do me a favor and keep this thread going with anything you do find out. I love the tigerrump, but that sucker is like an even more amazing version thereof. I'd definately like to get ahold of one if they are around anywhere.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Other than Rick's shot, these are the only "pentaloris" pics I could find:

They all just look like plain old tigerrumps to me. The third has more distinct striping than I'm used to seeing, but that could just be a trick of the lighting, and it still looks nothing like the one on Rick's site. I'm guessing that C. fasciatum was originally sold mis-ID'd as D/H/P/C. pentaloris, but that's about all I can find :(

jet

Arachnopeon
FYI->Dean Pittman is selling the "T" in question here

You can find these at www.nwinverts.com for $12 each (sling's 1/4 inch). I am ordering one today.

Blessings,
Jet