Cyclosternum fasciatum Gestation Period, unbelievable!!

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am still in aww of how soon I got slings from this spider.

My friend and I bred two marure female C. fasciatum. One laid a eggsac ONLY 13 days after the first breeding attempt, AMAZING!!! This eggsac recently hatched out 300+ slings, all about ready to molt to first instar.

The second female laid a sac a month after only ONE breeding attempt (which was sloppy and fast). My friend pulled this eggsac a day ago and ALL the eggs are eggs with legs. This sac looks to be 150-200 slings.

I forgot to mention that not ONE SINGLE egg was bad, they ALL hatched out!!!!

Anyone else have this experience? Please share!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow...

Spider-man 2 said:
I am still in aww of how soon I got slings from this spider.

My friend and I bred two marure female C. fasciatum. One laid a eggsac ONLY 13 days after the first breeding attempt, AMAZING!!! This eggsac recently hatched out 300+ slings, all about ready to molt to first instar.

The second female laid a sac a month after only ONE breeding attempt (which was sloppy and fast). My friend pulled this eggsac a day ago and ALL the eggs are eggs with legs. This sac looks to be 150-200 slings.

I forgot to mention that not ONE SINGLE egg was bad, they ALL hatched out!!!!

Anyone else have this experience? Please share!
WHOA...that was fast! I hope my G. grossa can achieve half that time! :D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phil Messenger just hatched out C.fasciatum from a pairing with my male. Gestation was just a few weeks I think!

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
See I thought the first eggsac coming soo soon was a freak accident or an induced infertile eggsac, but then when I got a second one, that comfirmed my theory.

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lopez said:
Phil Messenger just hatched out C.fasciatum from a pairing with my male. Gestation was just a few weeks I think!
Hi
I have just bred C.fasciatum, the sac was produced 18 or 19 days after mating, and the funny thing is the female was only fed 2 crix twice since the mating. I did however have a bit of a mite problem with the sac, ended up with 184 slings.
the female i bred was actually the 1st T i ever bought as a sling 6 or 7 yrs ago, the start of this hobby for me, so to breed it was quite rewarding.
the slings will all be given away at the get together we are having at the weekend.

smalltime

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
I wonder if other Cyclosternum are like this.
Well I just placed my male with my female 5 weeks ago. The male made an immediate attempt, just going in her hide with his forelegs. So I left the bugger in over night and it was eaten... 2 weeks later the female made her eggsac (it was very hot that day 32 degrees Celsius) and I pulled it just 6 days before today(after 3 weeks), all eggs and 2-3 days later they all devellopped in post-embryos in the hammock. No dead ones so far and my guess the count would be 300-400!!!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Congrats - that's a tough species to breed. All of my attempts, and many other people's I know have ended with dead males.

Bill

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
omg .. dun blame me for talking silly.. but how do u guys actually count the slings.. phil even mentioned 184 slings (did you count one by one ? )

mating sounds interesting but the problem is, it would be so risky to let them mate.. well like conipto said, most attempts will end up the male being eaten by the female.. and theres no guarantee that they'll be slings.. i will just know more bout it.. and perhaps try soon! hahazZ

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
conipto said:
Congrats - that's a tough species to breed. All of my attempts, and many other people's I know have ended with dead males.

Bill
Thanks, I know what u mean.