cutting up crickets

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi. i just got a 1cm b.boehmei sling yesterday but i don't have any micro crickets. i've heard you can cut up bigger ones but i've never done it before. how big should i cut pieces off?
Jono

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had luck with just pulling the hind legs off of the crickets and feeding them to the slings (Thanks to Code_monkey for the tip). It is much easier than cutting them up. If I do cut some thing up to feed to my slings I use mealworms.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, what I do is first cut the cricket in half length wise going right through the middle of the body (think back to your lessons on bilateral symmetry :)). If the slings are larger, they may just get half a body at this point. For smaller slings I'll dice each half into 3 more or less equally sized pieces. I do all this with a sharp pair of dissection scissors.
Plus, if the cricket was large enough, you can even pull off the drumstick legs as was mentioned and feed up to 8 slings with one cricket.

It's not too important that the piece is appropriately sized - a cricket chunk isn't going to attack or otherwise harm anything. Just make sure to remove any uneaten leftovers about 24 hours later as it will mold quickly after that.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cricket legs work great for small Ts, especially if you have larger ones to feed.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
IME, cutting up crix is more trouble than its worth. cleanup is hard to do, and the entire area of substrate where the piece of bug was tends to mold, so with each feeding you end up removing more and more substrate.

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks guys. i read back through some previous posts and someone had recommended freezing crickets and then cutting them up. so that is what i have done. thanks anyway, i'll probably try the leg thing aswell.
Jono

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
IME, cutting up crix is more trouble than its worth. cleanup is hard to do, and the entire area of substrate where the piece of bug was tends to mold, so with each feeding you end up removing more and more substrate.
Hmm... 28lbs of vermiculite is $13, enough substrate to house about 3500 slings. A complete substrate change costs $0.003. I pay about $0.085 for a cricket regardless of size, oh yeah, totally unworth it to stretch large crickets out ;)

I spend a lot of money on crickets (come on critical mass for the roach colony!). I don't spend a thing in substrate in comparison. And when talking sling leftovers, it takes the same labor to clean up whether it was initially a cricket piece or cricket - whether there's a milligram or two of substrate extra with the cricket piece is less than irrelevant in my book.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i would agree with you there, if when removing that little clump of substrate i was thouroughly convinced i was getting all the nasty stuff. ever since that little mystery mold debacle where i lost those slings i have been a bit overprotective when it comes to mold. anyway my petshop sells pinheads, so its just as easy for me to pick up a few pinheads with my adult crix and not worry about the whole thing. and besides it takes up too much time for me to sit in my t room removing and replacing substrate in 20 sling viles every other night, i have herps and rodents to feed too.