Curly Hair Topside Sphagnum Moss Burrowing

Shpaidurr

Arachnopeon
Hello, would anybody have some idea as to why a curly hair would burrow in a bunch of sphagnum moss that is on top of substrate?

We recently rehoused ours and it spent the first few days on the glass above before nesting down to where it is now. Is it telling me to add more substrate? We used eco-earth. C40F136A-F597-4F56-B216-3F49EEFA1C0C.jpeg

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
They are oppurtunistic burrowers. It looks like you gave it the opportunity and the T took it. :)

Also front pics of the enclosure would help to see if you need more substrate.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
This setup is a fall and die hazard. Needs more substrate which won't likely be possible in a front opening exo Terra.

Does the Tarantula have a hide?

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I would use a tupperware tub or something where you can put like 6" to 8" of substrate in for it. If you want something that's nice to display and cheap, you can get aquariums for $15 at Walmart and mod a plexiglass lid for them. If you want to go the expensive route I would check out Lorex Plastics.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Glass Exo Terra enclosures aren't suitable for terrestrial tarantulas (they're made for stuff like reptiles/frogs), I'd rehouse to a large faunarium or similarly sized plastic tub (pictured is a 13L hobby life tub) and make sure there is no more than a 1.5x leg span gap (e.g. 6" gap for a 4" spider) between the top of the substrate layer and the top of the enclosure.

13L hobby life tub.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
some people also create a substrate height gradient going from low in the front to all the way near the top in the back, that way if it wants to go to a higher spot, for temp, it can just walk to that spot rather than climb. That being said rehousing would still be the best.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
This is why I don't like front opening enclosures for non arboreal species.