Curly hair stuck in fireplace...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahJHabec

Arachnopeon
I'm in a bit of a tough situation right now with my newest tarantula, a 2 year old female curly hair. I had been handling her for a couple of minutes and she started to get a little moody, so I got ready to put her back in her enclosure. I must have moved my hand or something, but she panicked and climbed up the mesh frame of the fireplace and into the inner workings (an electric fireplace, unfortunately). I tried to open it up and take it apart as much as possible but the only conclusion I can come up with is she must have gone into a space in between the fireplace itself and the brick wall, about 3 inches wide and wraps around the entire fireplace. Luckily it's off and won't be going on any time soon so she won't cook, but I'm worried she may freeze or get stuck back there. My dad is going to ask to borrow a scope tomorrow to see if we can find her and maybe nudge her towards us to get her out- but I'm very concerned about her and how much danger she could really be in. I care deeply for all my tarantulas and consider them to be family to me, I'd be crushed if I had to give up on her. What could I try in order to get her back?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I don't have much help to offer, but be warned, you're fixing to get hammered. Rightfully so too, this is why you don't handle T's. I would sit the enclosure near the fireplace though for starters, if you're lucky she'll wonder back in. Check at night too, and maybe you'll catch her out.

cold blood

Staff member
The t isn't in danger because its squeezed in some place, that's what spiders do.

Anyone want to make odds on this t ever being found? I'll go with 50:1, am I too low?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I mean... wow...

Okay. Try tickling your tarantula. Get a long blade of dead grass and tickle the wall right by her. It'll trigger a feeding response, and hopefully lure her out. Be careful, a tarantula that is hunting is also very skittish. It'll bolt back into the space if you startle her at all.

Good luck.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Wow, that's about a tough of situation as I can imagine. The likelyhood of a positive outcome is very slim at best. I am trying to avoid being negative because it isn't going to help, but you will be extremely lucky if she just walks out. I hope you and your dad are successful and this can be a big lesson learned.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
When people handles their tarantulas, unfortunate things like this is bound to happen. That´s one of the reasons for handling being as welcome as a fart in spacesuit on this forum. With that being said, I wish you all the best in locating your spider!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's always a pleasure for me to read about the adventures that happens to "T's handling" folks. Definitely something new every thread.
This time: "B.albopilosum performing a pure Off-Broadway Hänsel & Gretel".

I hope that your Theraphosidae is safe somewhere, and that you learned something about... even if ain't so sure, especially about the latter.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Yea best of luck recovering the T
Dont handle, nothing good can come of it

Tygarys

Arachnopeon
Do you have an air compressor? From what I understand T's do not like people to blow on them, so maybe shoot some very low pressure air through the opening to chase it out the other side?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Do you have an air compressor? From what I understand T's do not like people to blow on them, so maybe shoot some very low pressure air through the opening to chase it out the other side?
This^ is actually a very good idea IMO. That is if there's no other cracks or openings, besides the ones you have access too, that she could run further into.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
You might not even need an air compressor. Just sticking in a straw and blowing into it might work.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Another classic problem caused by unnecessary handling. I hope you get it out without problems though this isnt the worst thing that can happen when you wish to hold these animals..

The breeze method would be safest but make sure there is at least 2 of you present with catch-cups or it may scarper and get stuck somewhere else.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A tarantula stuck in a fireplace is a classic problem? :rofl:
Fireplace, maybe :p

But generally bolting and tucking themselves behind something that is super hard to retrieve them from is classic, and all too common. Be it behind huge wardrobes, toilets, fridges, radiators etc etc.

It can all be avoided if that one simple rule is applied ;)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
The title of this thread is also rather funny. I can´t stop myself from imagining someone with a huge afro hairstyle being stuck in a fireplace when I see it...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I heard smoked tarantula tastes quite good, both in S. America and Africa. Maybe it tastes good in N. America too?

If true, another classic example of a tarantula suffering at the hands of its owner, with an owner thinking "oh nothing can go wrong"

I never let my family crawl up the chimney :rolleyes:

There's nothing you can do really, just wait and see. If you can locate where it is, that would be helpful. The air compressor idea is worth a shot.

A future suggestion is NOT TO HANDLE your Ts; it's a crazy idea I know, hard to believe that it works, but it does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.