Cure for urticating hairs

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Found a simple, rather painless way to completely remove urticating hairs if you've been "hit" that is much better than washing in soap and water alone. I did the soap and water route and was still itching. As I stood there at the sink contemplating how to rid myself of the remaining itchy hairs I was staring at my 8" dia. 3 wick aromatherapy jar candle and I remembered something I saw on TV a while back about how they used hot wax on the hands of suspects to remove microscopic bits of gun powder. Well, I blew the candle out and dipped the itching finger into the puddle of wax several times until it was well coated (wax is hot but not unbearably so when you have a big pool of it like what forms in large jar candles). Then I let it cool until hard, peeled it off my finger and all the itch was gone - just like that. Figured I'd share my discovery for those who are brave enough to put hot wax on themselves :D

Gail

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm.. how about using glue? just remove the glue when it's dry.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wouldn't glue be kind of hard to remove?
Thanks for the stearin knowlede!

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Wouldn't glue be kind of hard to remove?
Thanks for the stearin knowlede!
Elmers school glue comes off pretty easy.

Wayne H

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
Found a simple, rather painless way to completely remove urticating hairs if you've been "hit" that is much better than washing in soap and water alone. I did the soap and water route and was still itching. As I stood there at the sink contemplating how to rid myself of the remaining itchy hairs I was staring at my 8" dia. 3 wick aromatherapy jar candle and I remembered something I saw on TV a while back about how they used hot wax on the hands of suspects to remove microscopic bits of gun powder. Well, I blew the candle out and dipped the itching finger into the puddle of wax several times until it was well coated (wax is hot but not unbearably so when you have a big pool of it like what forms in large jar candles). Then I let it cool until hard, peeled it off my finger and all the itch was gone - just like that. Figured I'd share my discovery for those who are brave enough to put hot wax on themselves :D

Gail
along those lines, I saw something that uses wax that you dip your hands in to remove dead skin or something, might be less painful than hot wax from a candle.
Ed

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a paraffin tub used in day spas. It is supposed to do something special for the skin. IMO, it is a special way to separate a client from her money, but I think it would work perfectly to remove the urticating hairs.

Botar

PS - In case anyone is wondering, I have an ex that is a stylist in an upscale salon.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good idea...I'm going to try that next time!
Now, I have to find some of those candles that burn at a lower temp ...otherwise I might trade the hairs, for burns ;)

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
That is a paraffin tub used in day spas. It is supposed to do something special for the skin. IMO, it is a special way to separate a client from her money, but I think it would work perfectly to remove the urticating hairs.

Botar

PS - In case anyone is wondering, I have an ex that is a stylist in an upscale salon.
I thought I saw them advertised somewhere, you can buy them for yourself at home.
Ed

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure you probably could. I would assume you could melt the paraffin in a pot on your stove or on a low setting in a crock-pot. The paraffin used in the day-spas is a bit different from regular candle wax, but for our purposes here, I would think regular paraffin purchased in a craft store for candle making would work fine.

Botar

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
great, im now typing with five fingers super-glued together......

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
great, im now typing with five fingers super-glued together......
lol!!!=D oh really? that's smart alright!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Now, I have to find some of those candles that burn at a lower temp ...otherwise I might trade the hairs, for burns ;)
White wax is a better bet for this than colored, as colored supposedly melting at higher temps. Those novena candles sold in supermarkets in tall glasses with saints' pictures on them are supposed to be excellent for the purpose. Who's the patron saint of tarantula keepers? =D

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
White wax is a better bet for this than colored, as colored supposedly melting at higher temps. Those novena candles sold in supermarkets in tall glasses with saints' pictures on them are supposed to be excellent for the purpose. Who's the patron saint of tarantula keepers? =D

Joy
Hmmm...if I remember my catechism its St. Francis. Otherwise known as the Patron Saint of Police Officers, Animals, and lost causes..:) (After all, isn't that what most of our friends think of us? For keeping venomous pets..*g*)

Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Holley,
The closer you get to the flame, the hotter the wax will be. However, I think I'd rather have a burn than suffer as I do when I change my blondi's enclosure. Last time, despite wearing glasses, I got some in my eye..OUCH!

Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Gail,
Great discovery! Thanks! Hmmm..to think there are other uses for hot wax..*eg*

Peace,
Gillian

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Gail,
Great discovery! Thanks! Hmmm..to think there are other uses for hot wax..*eg*

Peace,
Gillian
like what?! do tell!
:?
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
like what?! do tell!
:?
Ed
Ahem, er, um...well, let's just say it has nothing to do with beauty...:D

Peace,
Gillian

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I always used fire. I always burned the urticating hair along with my own hair. At least it always stopped itching.