Crotalus any one?

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crotalus adamanteus and the lighter ones Crotalus adamanteus/atrox crosses 2 of each in this tank

I also have a male of each in another tank.

And a male Crotalus atrox in another

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im not familure with the proper terms yet, is it a rattler?? hard to see the tails in the pics.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking C adamanteus Kevin. Has some nice contrast to him as opposed to some others I have seen in the past. I was definately giving some thought to grabbing an adult male next year to attempt and cross it with my monster 6ft female C horridus atricaudatus. My favorite Crotalus are still the C polystictus, but they are a bit too expensive for me still:(!

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats really cool, and its amazing how thay mate, i had the ability to see it up close at my friends house, he used to breed them alot, even had his western diamond back named Richard Noggin.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hybrids, yuck. They are wonderful species by themselves, why hybridize??

Last edited:

Crawly

Arachnopeon
Sweet! I've wanted to keep Crotalus and Agkistrodon species, but hots are illegal where I live.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, when you say they got another "button" it makes it sound all cute...not "I'm shaking this 'cause I'm going to kill you if you move." :D Nice looking ladies though. They look to be a good size? Hard to tell exactly from the angle.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, when you say they got another "button" it makes it sound all cute...not "I'm shaking this 'cause I'm going to kill you if you move." :D Nice looking ladies though. They look to be a good size? Hard to tell exactly from the angle.
The eastern are about 22-23" born 9/26
the crosses are 20" just measured the shed born 9/26

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why not? I can enjoy the beauty of the parents individually and possibly have some interesting babies out of it. Hybridization happens in the wild just about everywhere where known areas of habitat cross with others of the same genus. In Central Georgia where I am from, nearly all of our Black Ratsnakes aren't straight Pantherophis obsoleta but are naturally occuring Pantherophis obsoleta X P guttatus X P spiloides. They look like very dark, almost black Grey Ratsnakes, as you can still clearly see the ladder patterning with orange between the scales. If I had a scanner I used to have some pretty good pics of a few locals we pulled off the road(alive), cruising at night for herps. And with Eastern and Western Diamondbacks, theres just not alot of difference other than a slightly lighter coloration and the black and white banding on the tail. Besides its fun.:D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
very nice. love 'em.

got nice patterning and colors.

just out of curiosity, why did you choose wood chips?

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very nice. love 'em.

got nice patterning and colors.

just out of curiosity, why did you choose wood chips?
I rather use cypress mulch because it helps keep humidity up.When I set up cages I discovered I was low so I mixed what I had with reptile bark.Next time I change substrate I will may use all cypress.An just maybe look into something else.

What do you suggest to use?
I love the colors and patterns on these guys/girls.

They eat like pigs.....

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
What do you suggest to use?
I love the colors and patterns on these guys/girls.

They eat like pigs.....
ah, i understand that. very very dry in CO too.

do you feed in cage or out? live or F/T?

i'm far from an expert, so i don't even feel confident giving suggestions. i have always avoided using wood chips / bark for the sole reason of abrasions and scratches. it seems like it might be very rough. that's just a "seems."

they do eat like pigs, don't they?! ;)

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ah, i understand that. very very dry in CO too.

do you feed in cage or out? live or F/T?

i'm far from an expert, so i don't even feel confident giving suggestions. i have always avoided using wood chips / bark for the sole reason of abrasions and scratches. it seems like it might be very rough. that's just a "seems."

they do eat like pigs, don't they?! ;)
I feed inthe cage(thawed and feed from tongs),but got to be referee and make sure everyone eats nicely and no stealing. I feed all my non venomous in tubs to prevent them getting feeding response bites when I go in cage.And seems to work well.

But hots,no since training them,because I will never need to reach in there and pick them up.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking C adamanteus Kevin. Has some nice contrast to him as opposed to some others I have seen in the past. I was definately giving some thought to grabbing an adult male next year to attempt and cross it with my monster 6ft female C horridus atricaudatus. My favorite Crotalus are still the C polystictus, but they are a bit too expensive for me still:(!
You have a C horridus atricaudatus?Lucky dog.We have to get special permits for them in Texas,I believe they are on the white list.There has some been located around 60 miles from here nearTexana State park.They got one here near me at Brazos Bend State park near me on display caught from over there.