Crossventilation

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
So I am planning to make my own enclosures and was thinking about ventilation. I post this here because it is not about the enclosure as such but about the concept of ventilation.

Crossventilation is considered benefical to mandatory by many and often referenced as the top choice for any enclosure. However, I have my doubts and wanted to hear your opinion.

Many enclosures are designed to have ventilation holes on the opposite walls of the enclosure. The argument is to let the air circulate as opposed to only ventilation holes on the top. My problem with this argument is this: to have any meaningful horizontal circulation you need at least some sort of draught. Most keepers have their Ts in shelves etc. where air daught is close to non-existent.

I lived in a very stuffy flat for years. When I opened the opposite windows for hours nothing happened. It was like walking through a wall of warm, humid air when entering. Only if there was heavy wind ind outside was there any noticeable form of air exchange.

In my understanding, warm air - that carries more humidity than cold air - goes up. It follows that to prevent stuffiness, ventilation holes in the top would be optimal. I read somewhere that the critter keepers have the problem of fast evaporation because of their heavily ventilated top. This is true in my experience.

Of course, following this line of thought, crossventilation in the form of front/back on ground level + top would be optimal (like the exo terras).

However, would not only-top ventilation be sufficient even for the most moisture-dependant species if there are enough holes?

While I have some basic knowledge in physics etc. I am no expert and I am sure someone on this board is a professional in this area and will laugh his ass off on account of my semi-scientific explanation. If so, feel free to correct me.

boina

Lady of the mites
I prefer front + top ventilation for the following reasons:

1. I keep my tarantula in shelves, too and this provides the crossventilation I want without needing holes in the back where there's a wall anyway.

2. You don't really need a drought. The air movement you create just by walking through the room is enough to get at least some air exchange. Even the tarantula moving through the enclosure will move the air around a bit (if the tarantula moves at all, that is).

3. Having only holes at the top seems ok if you have flat enclosures. In high enclosures (arboreals!) you will always have stagnant air at the bottom because of the lack of air movement. If it's then a bit moist you'll have the absolutely perfect breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria and fungus, and there may be some pathogens in there, too.

4. Keeping moisture in is overrated in my opinion. Just pour water in the substrate if it dries out too much. I will never, ever restrict ventilation to keep moisture in, because with the moisture you will also keep bacteria (possible pathogens!!) and fungus in. I rather take the enclsure and pour water in every few days.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
3. Having only holes at the top seems ok if you have flat enclosures. In high enclosures (arboreals!) you will always have stagnant air at the bottom because of the lack of air movement. If it's then a bit moist you'll have the absolutely perfect breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria and fungus, and there may be some pathogens in there, too.
This makes a lot of sense and I will have to consider this when drafting my enclosures, so thank you! Luckily, my only non-sling arboreal has front+top ventilation anyway. But they grow up.so fast :D

4. Keeping moisture in is overrated in my opinion. Just pour water in the substrate if it dries out too much. I will never, ever restrict ventilation to keep moisture in, because with the moisture you will also keep bacteria (possible pathogens!!) and fungus in. I rather take the enclsure and pour water in every few days.
Yes, I need to check for empty water dishes sever times a week anyway. Often they are empty because of substrate or webbing soaking the water up or the T flipping it over. So it is no big deal to moisten some substrate.

cold blood

Staff member
Also keep in mind, not all ts require such ventilation....For terrestrials kept dry, ventilation needs are very minimal.

Premium ventilation is really only needed with species kept consistently damp, or Avicularia types.

For those, its really more about air movement than a certain kind of venting.

European style glass enclosures and exo terras are a perfect example. At first glance, they dont appear great, but because of ventilation down low at the ftont and at the top, it actually promotes airflow excellently, drawing air in the bottom and out the top.

Cross ventilation is just an easy way to ensure the air doesnt stagnate and an easy way to explain ventilation.

Most of the time we see cross venting, they actually have a lot more vent holes than are actually necessary.

With proper placement of ventilation though, you can indeed achieve better airflow, using less, but more well placed vent holes.

Last edited: