cross breeding scorpions

mobster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it possible for two different species be bred?

demolitionlover

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no idea, but it would be pretty cool to have a death stalker mixed with a hairy.

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That would be cool, but I don't think it's possible.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure it's a simple matter of hybridizing within the genus or similar species. I don't think it's possible for say an Androctonus sp. to hybridize with a Hadogenes sp. They're simply too different and one would just end up the others lunch. An Androctonus sp. breeding with another Androctonus sp. may be possible, I think that we're forgetting about certain factors here. IE how they communicate, I'm sure Pheromones play a large role, would A. mauritanicus emmit a very different scent than A. bicolor for instance or has crossbreeding gone on within certain geographical limits producing new species? These are all interesting questions that come to mind, I however don't think it is our right or place to thin down the original species by hybridizing. Just think about when scorpions are no longer imported, I think it's much more important to keep the species pure. Pardon my ranting on,
Jamison

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i agree, but the kewlest thing would be breeding the biggest and hardiest specimens in a species to get bigger and hardier scorps. how about that? :rolleyes:

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe "kewlest" is sort of coolest analogue/synonim? I would be quite grateful for regular english as you don't speak my navite language, right? In case you would like to try: na žinoma, kad savaip rašyti yra visada patogiau, bet susidaro tokios aplinkybės kad pasijunti mėnulyje, kur niekas tavęs nesupranta. :)
Back to the topic: I tried crossbreed C. Margaritatus "gracilis like" with C. Margaritatus bicolor morph and the only result I got - fighting. Somehow IFF (identify friend or foe) system is not quite reliable... I was even brave/silly enough to keep them in same tank for about a week (one pair, both in equal size). Luckily there we enought space for both so they shared enclosure, but no such behavior as between same morph was observed...

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Murziukas said:
Back to the topic: I tried crossbreed C. Margaritatus "gracilis like" with C. Margaritatus bicolor morph and the only result I got - fighting. Somehow IFF (identify friend or foe) system is not quite reliable... I was even brave/silly enough to keep them in same tank for about a week (one pair, both in equal size). Luckily there we enought space for both so they shared enclosure, but no such behavior as between same morph was observed...
Interesting observation. Normally I'd expect closely related species (within the same genus:? ) to initiate mating only for it to fail later after the promenade a deux. The fact they didn't even attempt to mate is good evidence for the bicolor morph actually being a distinct species from C. margaritatus, assuming the female wasn't already gravid and the sexes were correct.

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Oliver,

I trully expected something intresting as I have read somewhere that results are diffrent in corssbreeding male 1 with female 2 and male 2 with female 1. I got pretty healthy and active pair of bicolor morph from George and gave them some time for aclimatization as thay had a long trip. All of them were well fed and in good shape.

My experience is low as mostly my limmited knowledge came from reading but all theory goes through practice. All 4 pairs (one is bicolor) of them breeded between them fluently and fast. Basicly it took from 1 to 5 minutes after introducing to start mating. The only strange thing is that for bicolor morph it took more then 8 hours to finish what they started. May be the problem was in that? male of bicolor was pettite and really small if we compare with female, byt they did mated.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
unfortunate..

is there any work going on on Centruroides margaritatas at the moment??

i must say that when i put that pair of "bicolor morphs" together, they started fighting straight away (i separated them)

have you tried any other attempts at breeding them?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The mating for my bicolor pair only took about 1h (if memory serves) the time for a successful mating is mostly dependant on a search for a suitable place for a spermatophore. C. marg bicolor mating seems in general to be quite violent, my female ate my male when I tried it:(

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmm...when you say that, it makes me happy that I have two males. Wouldnt this make them not quite as communal as other Centruroides if mating is so violent? My Males tend to live at the opposite end of the tank from each other all the time. They certainly have a defined territory it seems.

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi George,

the only one possible progress now is patience :) They matted, it took long (most of the time thay didn't move at all staying in primary position and location), but they did it and I think female is developing new brood. They didn't fight at all (may be relized how lucky they are together after meeting some close relatives :D). I keep them well fed and separate so everything seems to be ok. I hope to see some little ones in spring.

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

I´ve never had any problems putting together or mating any adult Centruroides specimens. I´ve also never observed any aggression. I doubt that it´s easily possible to breed scorpion hybrids. Even C. margaritatus and gracilis which are quite closely related are producing an offspring capable of survival.

LOURENÇO W.R. (1991): Interspecific hybridation of laboratory reared Centruroides gracilis and Centruroides
margaritatus (Chelicerata, Scorpiones) – Studies on Neotropical Fauna and Environment 26(1): 29-32

I´ve also tried to breed a female H. trilineatus with an undetermined Hottentotta male (belonging to the minax, polystictus, eminii group), they mated but the female never produced any young.

Regards
Alex

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Hi Alex,

Well, something went wrong, but what? Two mixed couples, zero tolerance. After introduction aggression was following and even immediate... :?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that pic just reminded me how beautiful the bicolor morph is!!!! ;p
nice pic Tadaz

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Geee... :? You know George, I really don't see any difference under UV :D

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The male wanted to have some s*x, but not the female (...as usual ;) )

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ythier said:
The male wanted to have some s*x, but not the female (...as usual ;) )
let me guess....a headacke ?? ;)

Last edited: