cross breed between Dubai and Turkish Roaches

stoltzs1

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

1. I bought a colony of Dubai roaches for feeding purposes. I did not see the few Turkish among them, thus they started to cross breed. Is this safe to feed jour reptile and can you sell this? What will I call it?

2. How do I easily separate the baby roaches?

3. Do I have to replace vegies everyday because they get mouldy?

Thanks Sunette

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They won't cross breed. Dubia and Lats are fairly far apart (different genera.) Beyond that, dubia breed through false ovovivipary (eggs develop inside an internal ootheca) while lats lay their ootheca (ovipary)

And yes, get rid of old veggies before they turn bad; it'll attract phorid flies. After awhile you'll figure out how much your roaches will eat a night.

I should add, the adult lats will probably eat the young dubia, and the lats oothecas tend to not hatch without substrate. I'd recommend either separation if you want to raise both, or culling the lats if you just want to raise dubias.

Last edited:

stoltzs1

Arachnopeon
Harlock,

Thanks for the advice, but I was wondering then what kind of roach I have then if the 2 can't breed. looks like dubai but long soft body as turkish. Scarry, I shall bring a photo tomorrow... Is a Lat another name for the turkish roach family?

stoltzs1

Arachnopeon
Ah ok. It will be interesting if someone can identify the other type that started to appear among them. I will definitely take a photo.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and the lats oothecas tend to not hatch without substrate.
Where is your source for this? I don't keep substrate in any of my roach colonies and I had 5000+ Blatta lateralis hatch out this summer from about 200 mixed adults.

I agree with everything else you've said.

Last edited:

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think the key word in that sentence is "tend",there are exceptions to every rule.
i also could not produce any until i added substrate as they tend to require a higher humidity to hatch.
some people keep them in a humid enough enviroment to hatch without.
my basement happens to be too dry to hatch them without adding additional humidity.
as a rule most people keep lats on a moist substrate
andy

stoltzs1

Arachnopeon
The unknown Roach

Hi,
I manage to take photos. You will see the dubai and the Turkish roach. The other 2 are unknown and I thought was offspring of a crossbreed between the dubai and Turkish. They look like the dubai with the brownish body but does not have the hard skeleton. They have a soft skeleton the same as the Turkish and they are very good climbers. Can you identify this roach family?

Attachments

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are 3 different species there.
First pic is Blaptica dubia.
Second pic is Blatta orientalis (Not a Turkistan roach but a close relative.)
Last two pics look like Nauphoeta cinerea, the lobster roach, another common feeder.

stoltzs1

Arachnopeon
Thanks, As far as I know I only received 2 species, this is scarry. So can they eat each other? Is it then ok to keep them together?

stoltzs1

Arachnopeon
it seems that I have a mixed colony. There are also the turkis roaches whish are red with darker back end in the bin.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dubai is a place in the United Arab Emirates. Blaptica dubia aka "dubia" are a roach species....

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a second there I thought there was some roach species I didn't know of that went by "dubai". But of course I suspected the typo.

In my experience, when it comes to lateralis... a lot of the oothecas that get laid do not hatch out. But then at the same time, I usually don't provide them enough humidity inside to REALLY mass-produce.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Careful with those Lobster roaches. They're pretty good at climbing smooth surfaces like glass or plastic. They constitute more of an escape risk than the other two species.