cross between two spiders

ekram26

Arachnopeon
molting issues

it molted the other day and i did some research and it said not to mist the tank after molting and i mistakenly misted the tank just before i did the research.........is it good or bad? and there was a cricket for food in time of the molting process and i just removed it when i found out after the fact.......good or bad? i hope nothing is wrong with my T.....

pok2010

Arachnopeon
There's been discussion on this before, but the myth that burrows are always cooler is just that - a myth. Burrows are shelters, tend to be more temperature-stable than the exposed surface, but can be either cooler or warmer than the surface temperature. For example, where I live we are having morning temperatures right at the edge of freezing right now, and our local burrowing arachnids are dug in for protection against that cold, not trying to "get down to cooler temperatures". Burrows are buffers against extreme temperatures (either direction) and burrows in climates that have little temperature fluctuation (such as in the tropics) will be close in temperature to shaded surfaces in the area (unless they are in highly organic, compost rich soils, in which case they will be warmer).
this ^^^

but

there shouldnt even be a "myth", IMO as you oready stated, thje burrow will have more, stable temp's. If we were outside freezing our ass of, in the waistelands of antartica, we build an snow shelter, or dig. This in tern will keep us warmer.

If its to hot out side, and were about to blow up, we take shelter, go underground, or in the house... same concept with the burrow...

but again yes everything you said =] ;P the myth of the burrow being cooler, as this guy said is a myth, a myth that shouldnt exist :p

LV-426

Arachnobaron
it molted the other day and i did some research and it said not to mist the tank after molting and i mistakenly misted the tank just before i did the research.........is it good or bad? and there was a cricket for food in time of the molting process and i just removed it when i found out after the fact.......good or bad? i hope nothing is wrong with my T.....
when ya gonna post some pics of you hybrid?

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It should be fine Ekram, just leave it be for a few days now so it can harden up post-molt. Make sure it has water in it's dish other than that leave him be for a bit. No reason he shouldn't be ok as long as everything looks ok, good move on removing the cricket. These things happen as a new keeper and it's a learning curve you seem to be doing ok and your T should be ok.

KvMccur

Arachnopeon
What pet shop and how large is the spider. If an juv or adult, please provide a physical description and the size of the habitat that you are keeping it in, and your geographical location.

KvMccur

Arachnopeon
Further, I highly doubt that you have a hybrid at all, and if the store you bought this from advertised as such, both they and you should assume that you do not know what you have. Tarantula cross breeding is virtually unknown, and assume that if you purchased a juv or adult, they do not know what it is and are selling and advertising that way due to a large carpace and an aggressive nature, a blend of the two species mentioned. If a baby, I can assure you that they have absolutlely no idea what they have sold you. Please produce pictures and further physical info, so that the board can help you identify and keep this spider healthy.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Further, I highly doubt that you have a hybrid at all, and if the store you bought this from advertised as such, both they and you should assume that you do not know what you have. Tarantula cross breeding is virtually unknown, and assume that if you purchased a juv or adult, they do not know what it is and are selling and advertising that way due to a large carpace and an aggressive nature, a blend of the two species mentioned.
Tarantula crossbreeding is known. They may not know what they are selling, it doesn't mean they have no clue as to what it is. I would expect someone that's lived all around the world and been bitten by rattlesnakes and owned scorps that are deadlier than cobras to know this.

i bought it form a pet store and the container said its a cross between the two and i did some research and was surprised to know that they crossed 2 of the 3 largest in the world......ain't that awesome!!!! i have yet to take pictures!!!! i'm waiting for it to come out of its burrow!!!!
I would rather have a cross between the #1 largest and the #1 largest, if large was what I was looking for. Then it's guaranteed to be large.:D

ekram26

Arachnopeon
pictures uploaded

i uploaded a couple pictures i hope its usefull in ID-ing my T.....for geography; i live in the driest coldest place in the world called Alberta Canada.....specifically Edmonton!!! i haven't fed it yet after it molted last tuesday so i'm thinking of feeding it this coming tuesday.....it will be a week by then and i'm going to put a cricket or two inside.....in one photo you can see the old skin it was in.......i'm so amused that it grew and the hairs are more visible now than when i first got it.....

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In answer to your other questions, No sponge (harbors bacteria), and no heating pad on the bottom. If anything place it on the side.

Chances of your t being a hybrid are questionable. If your t can produce viable offspring then it is not a hybrid. Hybrids cannot reproduce. Am I wrong on this ladies and gents?
Yes, you are. Hybridization does not always impy sterility.
I would be inclined to doubt it is truly a hybrid as well, but to be honest, if they know the Latin names of both species--maybe it really is a hybrid?
In any case, don't breed it.

Beyond that, it's probably a perfectly good spider. Enjoy!