Crocodilian <3

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Just a question... are most caimans this calm? i have wanted one for 4 years and all i hear about is them being grouchy but i want one so bad. do you think most can be tamed? it sounds like you tamed it and i wanted to know if they are tameable.

Arianji

Arachnosquire
That is a beautiful pond set up, and it would go great for your caiman. Livestock water troughs do wonders for the exotic pet world. And that is a beautiful caiman, I am envious of you, I have always wanted a crocodilian but never had the facilities for one. I am glad to hear you will be keeping him/her as an adult too. I have a friend who has a gator that he got when it was a hatchling, now the sucker is 5 feet long and lives in his pond in the back yard. The gator comes straight up to him when he sits by the waters edge, and he feeds it chicken. They fairly well recognize their care-provider as an individual. I know most zoos up north overwinter their crocodilians inside in similar settings, as the trough ponds, some even as makeshift as a kiddy pool with a monster mercury vapor bulb. Maybe you can do they same with yours and he can just have a winter and summer home. Regardless good luck with yours I am sure he will be a wonderful pet.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Just a question... are most caimans this calm? i have wanted one for 4 years and all i hear about is them being grouchy but i want one so bad. do you think most can be tamed? it sounds like you tamed it and i wanted to know if they are tameable.
In all honesty, I have no idea if they can be tamed whatsoever. I know that they are very intelligent and that Whomper knows that I'm his source of food. I personally didn't think they were tameable, though I have been told numerous times that they are. I think you can work with them to make them more tolerant though.

That is a beautiful pond set up, and it would go great for your caiman. Livestock water troughs do wonders for the exotic pet world. And that is a beautiful caiman, I am envious of you, I have always wanted a crocodilian but never had the facilities for one. I am glad to hear you will be keeping him/her as an adult too. I have a friend who has a gator that he got when it was a hatchling, now the sucker is 5 feet long and lives in his pond in the back yard. The gator comes straight up to him when he sits by the waters edge, and he feeds it chicken. They fairly well recognize their care-provider as an individual. I know most zoos up north overwinter their crocodilians inside in similar settings, as the trough ponds, some even as makeshift as a kiddy pool with a monster mercury vapor bulb. Maybe you can do they same with yours and he can just have a winter and summer home. Regardless good luck with yours I am sure he will be a wonderful pet.
I have definitely thought about this. I think it would be stressful for him to move inside and outside though. I have a heated "shed" outside, which is actually like a miniature house out back of my house, that I plan on modifying to make a pond inside all the while he would be able to get outside to the closed off section of my back yard. The best part is being able to lock the door he could go through when need be (i.e winter time etc..). He is already a wonderful companion and very beautiful in personality and looks. :)

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
They are like most animals--individuals. The one I worked with was most definitely not calm. And the OP's may remain this way, it may not. Even with constant handling and attention, it will remain a wild animal and never be truly tame; however, the increased handling and work devoted to the animal should impart to the owner a good sense of the animal's disposition.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
They are like most animals--individuals..
That is another one of my thoughts. You mentioning it reminds me of my L. violaceopes. She is the sweetest darn thing ever. I don't know about you, but it's rare I see any L.V's that are so calm, calm enough for you to use your hands with her or hold her if she walks out onto you. And I have three other female L.V's that are simply ferocious and anything but calm. And I have a male, but you know how males are typically of any species.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
So cute!

Wish they weren't so dangerous. I'd personally rather watch them in their natural environment. That's just me.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
So cute!

Wish they weren't so dangerous. I'd personally rather watch them in their natural environment. That's just me.
He was a rescue. They were going to get rid of him one way or another so I traded one of my P. metallicas for him. Best thought out decision ever.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
He was a rescue. They were going to get rid of him one way or another so I traded one of my P. metallicas for him. Best thought out decision ever.
I know. I am glad you rescued him. I don't get why someone would kill/get rid of him. They are magnificent creatures.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Oh... my goodness. That's awesome. I always hear about the bad things that result from people trying to keep these in inadequate conditions or with no commitment, and I think you'll learn a lot from having him!

Do you know if Whomper is indeed a him?

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Oh... my goodness. That's awesome. I always hear about the bad things that result from people trying to keep these in inadequate conditions or with no commitment, and I think you'll learn a lot from having him!

Do you know if Whomper is indeed a him?
I've actually never tried to to look and sex him. But I do know how. I'm just happy rather way, male or female. ;)

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WoW!!! Wedge head dwarf caiman? That is so neat!! Just be careful they can do some serious damage as adult. Check youtube theres some good videos in there keeping babies indoors, since they grow extremely slow.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
WoW!!! Wedge head dwarf caiman? That is so neat!! Just be careful they can do some serious damage as adult. Check youtube theres some good videos in there keeping babies indoors, since they grow extremely slow.
Thanks. I'm not sure if he's a wedge head or a cuvier. But either way I love him. And yeah, I really don't need ideas on how to keep them indoors. I've got his whole life planned out. And you'll be happy to know that all of his future is planned out to be with me. :)

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Thought I would post a couple photo's of Whomper. :)
He does indeed love to pose for me. <3
33948_409611809078933_100000903520536_1188679_1673689333_n.jpg
538335_409612065745574_100000903520536_1188680_103431817_n.jpg
Enjoy. :giggle:

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Whomper Walking Up To His Basking Spot :)

Man I love this little guy. He just makes me smile on a daily basis. He has now gotten to the point where he will hear the front door opening when I get home and he begins his yipping and will come to the front of the enclosure to wait and greet me when I come through the critter room door.
wmprr.jpg

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Around 5' for the speculated species. If it's a male.

---------- Post added 03-27-2012 at 03:29 PM ----------

4'-4 1/2' for females.
That's not a bad size! That actually sounds doable if you got the room. 8' by 8' sounds cool. Can they be socialized? I'm sure if it's well fed it wont be as grumpy but it's still going to be dangerous at that size.

What do you feed him and what do you plan on feeding him when he/she gets 4'+?

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
That's not a bad size! That actually sounds doable if you got the room. 8' by 8' sounds cool. Can they be socialized? I'm sure if it's well fed it wont be as grumpy but it's still going to be dangerous at that size.

What do you feed him and what do you plan on feeding him when he/she gets 4'+?
They actually are sociable. I'm looking into picking up another one because they have a better feeding response in groups.
Currently I feed him crickets, dubia and rat hoppers. He's a little picky. He will only take a rat maybe once ever two weeks. But he loves the crickets most and won't ever turn them down. I think it may be because he likes all the frantic motions from the crickets.

When he gets bigger I will be feeding him chickens and rabbits. Maybe throw in a few jumbo rats here and there. They all have their own temperments regardless of feeding. My buddy that has the other rescue got one that is very defensive around him or anyone else. But Whomper on the other hand is the sweetest thing to me, so nice and so gentle. Very cute too. But he gets super aggressive if anyone else is even near his enclosure or in the same room.

btw sorry for the late response. I have been very busy and haven't even been on the boards much.

Risky

Arachnosquire
Here is a couple pics of my diamondback setup that would work good for your caiman for a while. I got the tub at a farm supply store. It is a 150 gallon tub and I think the cost was around a $100. They sell bigger tubs to.

I used to have 2 of those exact same tubs! They were great and I got them for free. The feed store said they were defective. One had a small crack on the ledge and the other had a blemish on the outside.