Crocodile Hunter

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmmm... In the movie he has a tarantula. He says how "toxic it is" lol and how the venom could kill him. lol. He does not know anything about tarantulas.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Steve Irwin is my idol.....the guy is absolutely amazing, and deserves the higest respect because he is still alive somehow. He will go find the most deadliest thing in the world, then he plays with it and handles it after stating how mad it is..lol i love it, i can't get enough.:D

Mark

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, I just saw Steve playing with a 9' komodo dragon ....
"Truly amazing species!!" Heh, well, a lot of ppl like him.

Ðennis

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You mean that crazy australian guy, jumping and running around the deserts touching rattle snakes and whatever. This is on german TV too :). All I can get from him is, that what he does is rubbish. Sorry Bjorgly :). But nice landscape shots from time to time :D

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aside from all his funny Austrialian sayings and enthusiasm, I think he really knows his stuff. He must know what he's doing to interact with the animals he does and still be around to talk about it.

Mark

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, I like him.. I don't think he could possibly know EVERYTHING about every animal. lol.. I just i'd say something about it.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
he is awesome...

ever see his bloopers? They aired them once while I was able to watch them...lol..his wife must really put up with a bunch of heart-stopping moments...and stitches. He has his share of bites and close calls.
He really changed my opinion of "the other guys" you see on teevee.the ones who use duct-tape to tape a crocs mouth shut, etc.
I think its great how he uses the least amount of stress to the animals to restrain etc. Of course that accent helps too.=D

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everytime I see that guy I think of an episode of South Park featuring him, have you guys seen it?
"And now I'll jam my thumb up his ******* and it'll get really pissed!"

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
hmmm... In the movie he has a tarantula. He says how "toxic it is" lol and how the venom could kill him. lol. He does not know anything about tarantulas.
I know Steve, he's a nut, that's for sure ;) I supply him with any taranulas he needs for his documentaries. I think the spider in that movie is one of the ones I collected for him, not sure as I haven't seen it yet. You should see him mowing his croc enclosures at his zoo, what a riot that is, his biggest croc, "Agro", eats mowers, hates them.

Steve

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Crocodile Hunter

You know him? lol... cool... I love his show.. I was just like.. um.. I don't think so! about the toxicity. What kind of T was that? I wonder.

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
I know Steve, he's a nut, that's for sure ;) I supply him with any taranulas he needs for his documentaries. I think the spider in that movie is one of the ones I collected for him, not sure as I haven't seen it yet. You should see him mowing his croc enclosures at his zoo, what a riot that is, his biggest croc, "Agro", eats mowers, hates them.

Steve

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Crocodile Hunter

Originally posted by Steve Nunn

Steve
I thought Agro died on one of his shows?
Ed

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I beg to disagree

Steve Irwin, I can’t really agree that he is a great Idol; quite frankly I don’t think he does anything for the herping hobby, + everything in his shows is mostly staged. He is great for laughs but not much else. Its people such as Mark O'shea that get my respect, first of all he is a real herpetologist/taxonomist. He goes out into the field and describes new species, unlike Irwin. And second of all none of his shows are staged, if he goes looking for something and doest find it, it doest go into the show. EX) on a show about searching for the lost camion, they didn’t find a camion, they still played the show with out the camion, now that’s real TV and real love for the hobby.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i love it when he sticks his hand down inside a random burrow and just grabs whatever is in there....i could NEVER do that...i'd be freaking out bad.

Risto

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Raveness,

Selenocosmia sp. found in australia are known to have a higher toxicity of venom. Check out the bite report here.

-V

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I get kick watching him. He really gets excited ..... Yoikes ! Look at that snake, what a beautiful specimen of cobra,.. this snake could kill me in less that .000005 seconds.... isn't it a beauty, give us a kiss snake.... lol . I really enjoy watching his shows, but I think he knows reptiles much better than inverts. He was right tho, that the T could possibly land him in a hospital , if he got a bad envenomation; it was probably Selenocosmia or Chilobrachys or some other such nasty biter.

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I seen that episode as well, Yes, it could kill him, as we suspect that it's venom is more potent than new world T's..and If he is allergic, he could easily die...but on the other hand, I think he could have not been so overdramatic about it, saying how this tarantula could kill him and the venom is highly toxic and so on. makes you think he is dealing with atrax robustus or something...
Bottom line, it's T.V. and irwin is an dramatic person, so it wasnt surprising, just a little disapointed he didn't clarify what he said. To the public that doesnt know what we know, one would take that statement and think that of all Tarantulas.

I wonder what Irwin would say about the common honey bee?
how fast could it kill him? lol I must admit though, I like watching his programs..lol

Dean

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Crocodile Hunter

Originally posted by Raveness
You know him? lol... cool... I love his show.. I was just like.. um.. I don't think so! about the toxicity. What kind of T was that? I wonder.
Yeah, I know him, though I wouldn't call him a friend or anything. The spider would have been Selenocosmia crassipes, definately more venomous than your average tarantula, but in no way potentially lethal.

Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Crocodile Hunter

Originally posted by atavuss
I thought Agro died on one of his shows?
Ed
Damn! I didn't know, that was one amazing croc, he loved that big beast, he was full of personality.

Steve

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe it was a female croc that died on one of his shows....it was one that lived in the same enclosure as Agro, I think. I like watching his shows, but he does get annoying at times.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It wasn't Agro that died.

It was one of Agros mates that died and the oldest croc they had at the zoo.

And yes despite his great overall knowledge his invert knowledge is a tad lacking. Understandable though as they are far from his specialty.

And to compare him to O Shea please anyone who is a supposed snake expert yet has been nailed enough times to now be allergic to horses ( the reason you don't see him ride any ) is not even in Steves league. Sure O Shea is a taxonomist but he is also a careless showboat when it comes to handling the hots.

Phil