cricket trap

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone have any ideas for making a cricket trap? i dont have time to go to the petshop to buy crickets so its just easier to catch them myself. (i understand the risk of contaminated crickets but its the only way)

so any input would be nice. So far the best way ive found is using one of those shopvac, heavy duty vacuums for garages and just sucking em up. Gets the job done but at 11:00 at night, its kinda noisy.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL,
I use to go outside late at nite, like you said and lightly swat them with a wash rag. It would stun them enough to be able to pick em up.:)

Ernie

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i figured out that if yur on yur driveway and its just sitting there, dont try to cup the cricket on the ground. Instead sweep right over it and it usually jumps in yur hand as you close it.

works usually but not always.

The garage is a different story, they get in the coners, under the lawn mower, behind black widow webs....its a mess. the ol' vacumm works wonders.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can place a cup with dog-food and eventoualy some will go there, then place something on top and there you go!

I tried it once and it worked.
This way not only you have crix but they are gutloaded as well!

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
well what i do which is kinda off traps is go to the pet store once every 2 weeks i get about 20-40 crickets i put em in a kritter keeper with peat throw in a couple apple slices or orange slices in there and thats that whenever i need a cricket its in the bathroom saves alot of time plus no hazards of pesticides for that matter its jus too much of a risk catching your own after all waking up to a dead t's would just suck and to have to live with that i'd take the extra time for you and your t-take care jason

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wide mouth mason jar,
aluminum foil
fiberglass window screening or just rough paper
bit of fresh bread, dog food, or whatever

using fiberglass and aluminum, make two cones and cut a hole .3" in diameter at bottom to make funnel.

slide the fiberglass funnel inside the aluminum funnel and place the pair onto the lip of the jar with lid removed, effectively making a funnel into the jar, bait, and screw the lid back on (center metal plate removed) compressing the fiber/Al pair into place.

make it so that they can get into the funnel easily. one way is to sink jar into earth. or just place in corner of fence.

worked very well for me in the past.

toan

Last edited: