Cricket queries

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, though I've had Peso for a month, I've only had the crickets for about a week or so. Four questions:

1. Everyone complains about smelly crickets. Why don't mine smell? Not that I'm complaining, or anything..

2. They're changing color, and I doubt that's normal. They were light brown when I bought them, and now some of them are almost black. Reasons why?

3. How do I breed them? What do I need to start my own colony of pinheads?

4. How quickly do they grow?

As always, my great thanks,
The Rookie

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Rookie,

Are you using an absorbent substrate for the crix? Mine NEVER smell either... of course, I only have maybe a dozen at a time tops, and they're never aronud for more than a week... I keep them on a very thin layer of Bed-A-Beast, o I tihnk that might help counteract any smells...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1. Everyone complains about smelly crickets. Why don't mine smell? Not that I'm complaining, or anything..

You probably don't have that many at a time

2. They're changing color, and I doubt that's normal. They were light brown when I bought them, and now some of them are almost black. Reasons why?

Diet and teperature may be a factor

3. How do I breed them? What do I need to start my own colony of pinheads?

A moist substrate for the adult crickets to lay eggs in (the adult females have wings and along tube (called an ovipositor ) sticking off the end of the abdomen. Eggs will hatch in 2-3 weeks.

Raising your own crickets is probably more trouble than it's worth for one tarantula.

4. How quickly do they grow?

Depends on diet and teperature. Fed a rich diet and kept warm, they may reach adulthood in 6-8 weeks. I like mine to grow more slowley, however, since the sooner they reach adulthood, the sooner they die.

Wade

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dunno about ur crix, but the crix around here not only smell bad... the escapees, from fish tank especially, just find any corner of my house and play like a really LOUD orchestra...and a bad one at that...
Its nice when they make noise outside, but behind my TV?...thats just too much...

Kinda makes me not wanna breed them :)

Just my 2 bits...