Cricket quencher smells like ass

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I ran quite a few errands today and stopped for crickets and hydration gel for them. It was my first stop.

I opened the bottle of Fluker's Cricket Quencher and it reeked like rotten eggs. I read the bottle and it said "store in cool dry place" so I imagine the smell is a result of it sitting in my car in the humid Florida heat.

I don't know anything about the makeup of the stuff. Should it be okay to give my crickets?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I ran quite a few errands today and stopped for crickets and hydration gel for them. It was my first stop.

I opened the bottle of Fluker's Cricket Quencher and it reeked like rotten eggs. I read the bottle and it said "store in cool dry place" so I imagine the smell is a result of it sitting in my car in the humid Florida heat.

I don't know anything about the makeup of the stuff. Should it be okay to give my crickets?
Never used their product, but everyone uses the same molecule. I"ve been using it for EONS.

I'm going to clue you in because you aren't a jerk. You can buy this stuff CHEAPER on Amazon from other vendors. If you need help PM me AND it doesn't smell, in fact, I've never smelled it before.

My guess is you have Fluker's that may have some color to it. The molecule is clear naturally, and doesn't smell at all, even at high heat. I've used it in a lab.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
The "orange cube" stuff for crickets smells even worse! I made that mistake when I first bought it. I opened it up and didn't realize that I was supposed to put it in the refrigerator afterwards. That stuff reeked big time the next time I opened it. If it's exposed to heat, the seal is opened, etc. it gets nasty really quickly. I assume the crickets will probably be ok, though. But just to be safe it might be a good idea to toss it and get a fresh package.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Is it the yellow or blue stuff? I've noticed a slight odor from the yellow stuff before, but the crickets didn't seem to mind...

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
The blue stuff is made by heisenberg. That’s the good stuff. Gets the crickets chirping.
LoL, you wake up to find all your females knocked-up, the cough medicine gone from your cabinet, & your neighbor's Volvo missing...

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Never used their product, but everyone uses the same molecule. I"ve been using it for EONS.

I'm going to clue you in because you aren't a jerk. You can buy this stuff CHEAPER on Amazon from other vendors. If you need help PM me AND it doesn't smell, in fact, I've never smelled it before.

My guess is you have Fluker's that may have some color to it. The molecule is clear naturally, and doesn't smell at all, even at high heat. I've used it in a lab.
I'm glad i'm not a jerk 😂

The stuff has some yellow coloring added, yes. I will indeed PM you about the Amazon option. I'm sure it's cheaper than Petco!

The "orange cube" stuff for crickets smells even worse! I made that mistake when I first bought it. I opened it up and didn't realize that I was supposed to put it in the refrigerator afterwards. That stuff reeked big time the next time I opened it. If it's exposed to heat, the seal is opened, etc. it gets nasty really quickly. I assume the crickets will probably be ok, though. But just to be safe it might be a good idea to toss it and get a fresh package.
I used the orange cubes for a bit but I didn't like them. I use produce and hydration gel now. Cat food every once in a while.

Is it the yellow or blue stuff? I've noticed a slight odor from the yellow stuff before, but the crickets didn't seem to mind...
Yellow. I've never noticed any odor before today.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

Try it with a test sample. Toss in a half dozen crickets let them feed for 24 hrs if they are not dead it's still om to use.. Viper is 100% correct though crap is waste of money. The stuff he is going to point you too is $11.00 locally( walmart, home depot, garden shops and it will make about 15-25 gallons of gelled water. I bought a bag 3yrs ago and had 2 large roach colonys and a cricket colony I still have half a bag left.

If you only have a small collection and are buying a dozen or a few dozen crix every week or so save yourself the headache and money and just toss them leafy greens and a chunk of carrot.. If you want to be fancy feed them dry crested gecko diet in a shallow deli cup and use your water gel for them to drink.. I tried it once and now that's what I use to gutload every single time..Even the most beat up dried out leathery crickets get huge and juicy in 48 hrs..

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I have the same yellow stuff and don’t refrigerate mine and it has no odor weird. I keep it in a dark closet though not sure if that matters

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Crickets are gross...so even their food smells like ass? I hate crickets and I'm not sorry.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Crickets are gross...so even their food smells like ass? I hate crickets and I'm not sorry.
I have a mixed feeder tub of native wood roaches and crickets, and i never notice any nasty smells when i open it. Its probably the best and cleanest feeder tub ive ever used, so you can make crickets work odour free

Then again, ive used crickets to feed my inverts for about 8 years so maybe im just immune to the smell

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try it with a test sample. Toss in a half dozen crickets let them feed for 24 hrs if they are not dead it's still om to use.. Viper is 100% correct though crap is waste of money. The stuff he is going to point you too is $11.00 locally( walmart, home depot, garden shops and it will make about 15-25 gallons of gelled water. I bought a bag 3yrs ago and had 2 large roach colonys and a cricket colony I still have half a bag left.

If you only have a small collection and are buying a dozen or a few dozen crix every week or so save yourself the headache and money and just toss them leafy greens and a chunk of carrot.. If you want to be fancy feed them dry crested gecko diet in a shallow deli cup and use your water gel for them to drink.. I tried it once and now that's what I use to gutload every single time..Even the most beat up dried out leathery crickets get huge and juicy in 48 hrs..
Always good to see you dropping some knowledge down my man, always.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I too hate them. They smell awful, die if you so much as look at them wrong, and I've unfortunately developed a mild allergy to them over the years. I only tolerate them because my spiders love them, and because my landlord tolerates my tarantulas, but absolutely won't allow feeder roaches.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find this thread so funny because I've had this water gel from other vendors long before Flukers came out with blue and orange products. I never tried them because it was cheaper elsewhere. Polyacrylamide as a liquid is a neurotoxin, but once it polyermizes into a solid it's safe.Scientists use it in labs to separate proteins and nucleic acids too.

The plant industry uses this stuff, again another product from plants adapted for use in exotics, like coco fiber.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron

Thanks! I don't know if 25 is a small collection but I still only buy about twenty to thirty crickets at a time. Don't keep colonies.

As I said, I just use leftover produce but I could try the crested gecko stuff 🤔

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I just get the water storage crystals for plants from eBay, it's around £10 or so for a 1kg bag.

About this much makes a litre of gel.
DSC_0001.jpg