cricket eggs

soopa1

Arachnopeon
i just got my first arboreal and i have as soon as i put a cricket in it started layin eggs. i have two burrowers and never really worried about hatching eggs,because of the dry substrate. is there anything i can do to keep these things from hatching?

betelgeuse

Arachnopeon
Either clean out the tank.

Or let the tank dry out completely. The baby crickets have a smaller mass and so will dehydrate quicker than the tarantula.

In future try to avoid feeding the adult female crickets to tarantulas that may not snap them up immediately.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I've had that problem in my avic cages as well. I place a very shallow dish of water in there (lid off of a sour cream container) - the crix all drown themselves in it within a day or two (if not an hour or two) of hatching.

Gail

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The baby crickets are cute. My roommates scorpion tank had a huge infiltration by these little dudes. Most drowned ot were killed by bigger crickets.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Same thing as Gail here, ive noticed most of the crix babies flock to the water dishes and drown. Its a beautiful thing that something already there kills the lil devils=D

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
feeding option

I have an Avic in a ten gal tank and I feed it frozen crickets. No hatching eggs.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I heard that if you cut off the females egg laying chute, it can't lay eggs. Ya think? :confused:

Ernie

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An' I heard that's wrong ;) Seriously, dunno where i read it, but the still can lay their eggs.. so that makes it a pointless amputation!

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by MrT
I heard that if you cut off the females egg laying chute, it can't lay eggs. Ya think? :confused:

Ernie
Nope, doesn't work. All it does is keep them from laying the eggs deeper in the substrate. They'll just lay them at the depth of whatever ovipositor (egg laying chute) is left...

Scott

soopa1

Arachnopeon
yeah.. i cut it off the cricket that laid the eggs im taklin about,so it doesnt work.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Nope, doesn't work. All it does is keep them from laying the eggs deeper in the substrate. They'll just lay them at the depth of whatever ovipositor (egg laying chute) is left...

Scott
Grr.. you mean to tell me I've been wrestling with those dumb littlee s$*^s all this time for nothing! I guess I too was misinformed. Someone told me they pull them out, but I can't remember who. I'm afraid they'll die before getting eaten to do that, myself.

Alright then, looks like I'm gonna try the cricketsicle Idea.

Bill

betelgeuse

Arachnopeon
There is no need to freeze mature female crickets, although it is an option.

You can usually tell if a cricket is gravid as, so long as you do not use black crickets, you can sometimes see the eggs through the thin "skin" of her abdomen. Plus she will be somewhat plump.

Other than that, simply feed her to a T that is due to feed (one that moulted a fortnight ago for example). Preferably to a terrestrial T as they are more likely to snap it up quicker.