Cricket dance?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok i read a little on this and never did understand what it was lol

bt nova has done it a few times now, given her a cricket, twirled around on the spot while what looks like wiggerling her abdomen :eek:

is this the "cricket Dance" or whatever you call it lol

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Sounds like the cricket happy dance to me:rolleyes:
All of my T's do it a little different, it's kinda cute :D

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
ok i read a little on this and never did understand what it was lol

bt nova has done it a few times now, given her a cricket, twirled around on the spot while what looks like wiggerling her abdomen :eek:

is this the "cricket Dance" or whatever you call it lol
Yes, this is the "Dance of Joy", in fact I named my B. smithi "DOJO" which stands for Dance of Joy.

In reality I think the tarantula is moving in a circle to tie its prey in a nice web pack, to make feeding easier. This web pack might hold enzymes from the mouth that aid digestion as the tarantula uses the teeth on its chelicera to chew up the cricket. Either that or, its dancing for joy.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I always thought she was just adding to her web when she did that. When I feed my Rose Crickets she would put them in her fangs then start spinning her carpet web in circles... is this what u mean by happy dance? or something else?

TheDon

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
some of my tarantulas use their webbing from their "feeding waltz" as a way of containing all of the crickets (or whatever) that they caught. others use it as a "place mat".

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The Schultzs' covered the "feeding dance" in their book.

My H. lividium does it too, crickets in fangs, up on tippy toes, rotates slowly in a circle with wiggling spinnerets. That's ONE HAPPY T!!!